1. xpipkinsx

xpipkinsx New Member

Remaining on task

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by xpipkinsx, Feb 21, 2017.

Hi guys,
    I'm new here (did introduce myself in the appropriate section earlier) but for those who haven't seen it, I've just recently starting writing with a commitment to get a body of work together, as opposed to bits and bobs for recreation.

My initial intention was to write a novel, and if it were any good, to tout it about like a Simon Cowell record at Christmas. The more I research though, the more I feel that it wouldn't do me any harm at all to try and get a few short stories under my belt.

My reasons for this are that I'm finding that the short story is a great way to learn to develop strong characters and situations quickly and with impact, I dare say I'm learning how to edit also due to the parameters required. Also, if I decide to approach an agent/publishing house (and that's a long way off yet, so I will be considering all options), I feel that it would strengthen my expression of interest or submission if I have a little something else to demonstrate my veracity as a writer.

Now to cut to the chase, as this post is getting long. As a new writer, I'm trying to be organised and slick. My notepad and kindle go everywhere with me, I have Scrivener and all of its' marvellous tools, I finish my day job and religiously commit to writing each night but I just can't seem to stay on task!! It's so frustrating.

I currently have 3 short stories that I'm playing with. What originally started out as my 'novel', has now become a short story. I wanted to be organised and regimental with myself in order to achieve my goals, but I'm struggling to complete work that I've started, and am too quick to move on with other ideas.

Should I solely concentrate on one project at a time, and relentlessly bash it out until it's completed, or can you effectively multi-task between a few? Has anybody here been through this, and if so, were you able to overcome it?

Thanks!

2. xpipkinsx

xpipkinsx New Member

**Apologies, didn't realise that I'd posted this in the 'software' section - admin please feel free to delete**