1. Yotam

Yotam Member

That extra page...

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Yotam, Sep 22, 2013.

After about 4 months I finally finished the big, personal edit on my manuscript - now going over point I made.
    I split the chapters to single Word files as I started the big edit, and whenever I copied a chapter from the complete manuscript to the new Word file, for some chapters, it created an extra blank page. Whenever I tried to delete that extra page by deleting space it ends up deleting the last letter of the previews page and the page itself remains.
    When I first encountered this problem, I told myself that I'll deal with at the end of the big edit. Now that I finished the edit and combine the chapters back into one Word file, I discovered that the extra page allow me to create a space between chapters without pressing Enter (which is shown in the Word's navigator) to reach a new page.
    Now, what I would like to know is not how to create that extra page, but mimic it's effect that allow me to past the next chapter in a new page, without hitting Enter all the time.

Hope that you'll be able to help me and sorry for the verbal headache.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Insert a page break.

[​IMG]

jannert likes this.
  3. Yotam

Yotam Member

Thanks! Ctrl+Enter also seems to work.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You are welcome. :) For future reference, when you notice strange formatting issues like the one you mentioned when you did the copy/paste, click the ΒΆ icon in Word. This will make visible all the formatting cues the document is using. These are normally invisible and if you don't know they are there, can cause you trouble when formatting a doc.

[​IMG]

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

open the 'view' tab and click on 'navigation'... learn how to use this very helpful option for setting up and navigating within your full ms... it's invaluable in the editing process...

6. Yotam

Yotam Member

Yes, I'm already working on that. It's truly helpful now that I'm going over my notes.