1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The Colony (spoilers, but I doubt anyone cares)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Wreybies, Oct 28, 2013.

What a turd.

The formula is perfect zombie movie formula.

• Group of commando-esque survivors with obligatory used-to-be-in-the-militaries and some random Richards and Helens thrown in for diversity and also to die later. The usual bunch.
    • Zombies (in this case "feral humans")
    • A "safety zone" to get too.

The part I don't get is this: The movie seems to go out of its way to replace each of the standard items with something that's only marginally different, but I get the impression that I'm supposed to feel that's it's waaaayyyy different. "No, man, not zombies. Feral humans. Totally different. Like, I don't even get how you can draw a parallel, man. That's like comparing an apple to a wrench." And the "zombie/plague free zone" is replaced with an area that is made habitable again by making one of the weather machines that fucked up the planet in the first place work again.

Why do story writers (and now I'm swinging this back to our little world here in the forum) feel that a change of wardrobe or a different name you give to something that is clearly a stand-in for something else somehow creates something new? Am I just jaded? Have I read and watched so much that nothing ever feels new?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are no new original stories, But some are more devoid of originality than others.

You can dress a pig in pink taffeta and a tiara. Still a pig.

3. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

The worst part is the false hope mantra that runs through the mind during the first half of those kind of movies: There has to be more to it than this. Then it's over, and the Caucasian guy/girl is the only survivor. I'm not going to dis The Colony, though, because it's Canadian eh.

I recommend The Thing - 1982. A little more unpredictable, anyway.

4. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

When the trailer came out I punched my friend and was like "We need to see this."
    No theater around us was showing it, but I guess that's a good thing if it's as bad as you say lol

I was hoping for more of a sci-fi post-apocalyptic atmosphere instead of a zombie one