1. Steak-Ums

Steak-Ums New Member

He Say, She Say

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Steak-Ums, Mar 24, 2008.

Deal is:

I'm making a short story adaptation on this song by Lupe Fiasco:

He Say, She Say.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pqm48RLVbjM

I don't know what that kind of writing this would be called, an adaptation of a song, but I need some creative ideas of anyone has any. I have a hardshell of it down but yeah..

I'll post the outline when I come back from Detroit.

Any ideas appreciated.

2. Steak-Ums

Steak-Ums New Member

46 Views, no help?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please do not bump threads.

You realize, of course, that most members won't go to the trouble of commenting on non-trivial material that requires navigating to other sites. If you really want people to comment, your best option is to post a short summary of what you are soliciting an opinion on.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a story like that is not called anything special, other than 'plagiarism' or 'copyright infringement' if you use the song/lyrics in it without permission...

just the rewritten lyrics of an existing song is called a 'parody'...

i strongly suggest you go here [ www.copyright.gov ] to check out the laws on the subject, before going any further...

5. Vayda

Vayda New Member

Although the poster above me is correct, if the song is simply your inspiration, or you do have permission to take the lyricist's idea, then I believe it would be a vignette or simply a short story.

6. mammamaia

basing a written work on a song lyric has nothing to do with what one calls the finished product...

if it's short story length, it's a 'short story' just like any other... and, while 'vignette' is an old term for a short descriptive literary sketch, the same applies, though i doubt it's much in use by publishers these days...

7. Vayda

Vayda New Member

I kinda got the idea the song lyrics would translate better into a vignette than into a plain short story. Less plot, more sketchiness. And I don't know how often it's used, but I know Sandra Cisneros wrote in vignettes. She's not exactly on Oprah's book club list though. I might also consider some of Faulkner's work vignettes - if you're read As I Lay Dying, you can't tell me that Vardamon's chapters are very...well...plot-filled and...substantive.

8. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I have wrote poems before on songs I have heard, like maybe using one line from it during it or anout a similar thing or anything, but they tend to be more of a writing exersise rather than serious writing.

I am not sure what you want us to say, you haven't given us enough information about what you are doing.

Ps, I like this song, thanks for posting it. I like his superstar too.

Heather

9. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I suppose you could get away with calling some of Vardaman's chapters vignette's, as well as some of Cash's, but most of the others are not. Darl, Dewey Dell, Jewel, they're not vignette's at all.

10. mammamaia

per american heritage dictionary:

11. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Several scenes in As I Lay Dying fit just that definition. Specifically, Cash's narratives.

12. TheArtfulWeber

TheArtfulWeber New Member

I Disagree

Vardaman actually has motivations which suggests that his chapters are plot-filled. First we see his reaction to the death of his mother. You might be basing your opinion on the chapter that stands out the most from his character. We also see Vardaman's feelings about "town boys" compared to his desires as a rural boy. Vardaman may not be the vital character in the book, but the book wouldn't be the same without him.

13. EagleSpirit

EagleSpirit New Member

Personally, I do not see any problem with taking inspiration from a concept, mood, general events that happen in the narrative of a song... but ripping off the lyrics in any way is not a good idea. When approaching it, keep in mind that if you use an overly recognisable part of something that is copywrited, you put yourself at risk. But in the end, good initiative though... would be interesting to see the outcome, and how close u dare go to the song....

All the best,

Eagle Spirit.