Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Spending a Day With a Writer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leaka, Jun 30, 2010.

Usually, we ask the question if you could spend on day with any writer who would it be? But this isn't that question nor is this a thread. I actually had an interesting thought. When people answered this question they would say:

[Insert writer name here]

Because they write about the real world and they seem really cool. [summary not exact]

But, how do you know that the writers you idealize aren't what they write? Just because someone writes from a certain perspective marketing and business could easily influence them. My question is, if you had to spend a day with a writer and found out they weren't the person you thought they were, how would you deal with that?

We cannot simply idealize and look at these people as role models, if we don't look at this in the most realistic term. They could easily be trained to answer interviews, they can be corrupt from marketing, and they could completely self absorbed.

How do you know the writer you idealize is a good person?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why does it matter?

Why do you need to idolize the writer at all? Appreciate what is good about the writing, and recognize what is not as good.

The writer places some aspect of himself or herself before the public. The rest is none of your business, unless it becomes public for other reasons, such as a criminal indictment. Or unless you necome personally involved with him or her, at whic point you are no longer dealing with the writer.

Uninvited intrusion into the writer's private life is obsession, or even stalking.

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Some people in writing have a "hero" notice it how hero is in quotes. These "heroes" [role models] are the people who inspired them to write. And I think all people have a natural curiosity to one day meet these "heroes" of writing. Learn from them, etc.

I simply wanted to get those who do have role models in their life of writing to give an opinion. Some people are that way. Some people would want to talk to the one who inspired them.

I'm safe, all my role models are dead. lol

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...i don't see that it's anything i'd have to 'deal with'... s/he would simply be what they are and i'd either like them or not, regardless of what image i might've had of them prior to meeting...

1. i don't 'idealize' [or 'idolize'] any writers...
    2. i don't give a fig how good or bad a person any writer is, if their writing appeals to me... some truly awful people were/are incredibly fine writers...

5. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I don't idealize writers (well, maybe with the exception of 2 writers), I idealize their talent. I imagine how amazing it would be to be able to pour out the kinds of stories & characters that they do, to be so clever with my words. As for the writer, the person themselves, ehh, I don't really think about them much. I know that Stephen King is a pompous jerk, but it doesn't diminish my appreciation of his talent. One writer, however, I feel that I know more because of her youtube videos and her blog that I read. And I've friended another writer on FB; she lives near me, has even seen me out walking my dog. Both writers I admire for their literary skills and how funny and kind they seem to be. If I discovered they were jerks like SK, that would diminish my excitement over reading their future novels. But that would only be because I felt I knew more of their character and not because of their novels.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

While I admit there are a few writers who I like; and wouldn't mind meeting (like going to the pub for a few drinks with [insert name here]) I don't WANT to meet them so to speak. If I got the chance to do so I would take it with maybe a few writers I like, but I in no way idolize them. It would rather be a thank you for all the hours of joy they have given me. What they are like as a person is insignificant to me.

I've always had this suspicion.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think I would rather not meet the writer.

The writer may well be all the negative things you note. *shrug* It's a free country.

The writer is free to be a jerk-bitch-deadbeat-douchebag-(fill in the negative adjective).

I don't really care.

All I really care about is the work they have produced. And something tells me that's the way the author wants it.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Closed, at Leaka's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.