1. LunaWeissbach

LunaWeissbach New Member

Hey all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LunaWeissbach, Nov 11, 2016.

Hey all,

My name is Luna, a 23 year old from the Netherlands with an ambition to live my life as a novelist :)

I didn't always have this aspiration, I've only discovered my fondness for writing and books quite recently.
    A couple years back I was a biochemistry student who would only write the odd fanfiction once on a blue moon. Studying was rather time consuming and stressful, and I barely had any time for anything else. Late 2014 I fell sick and could not longer study. This happened a couple weeks prior christmas holiday. During my time sick, I could not concentrate well and I spent most of my time lying on bed listening to music. A song came by called 'Sup of Eternity' by Swedish band Opeth, and the lyrics of that song flashed an image in my head of a young girl, walking a road alone. That same day, I called her Eris and the rest of her story unfolded rapidly.

I had no choice but to write it down.

Cut to a few months later, and a first draft of an almost 500 page novel was finished, saved on multiple harddrives and USB sticks. Naturally, because I spent so much time writing it, my study may have suffered a bit on that and I fell hopelessly behind. I became disillusioned by my own career prospects. while I still find biochemistry fascinating, it's not my passion, and I fell out. I wanted to write!
    More stories popped in my head at a rapid rate. I literally dreamt them up. No less than five sequels to the story I'd already written, and many other, unrelated stories unfolded like movies before my eyes. I wrote summaries for most of them and fleshed out their characters and worlds, now they're waiting to be written.

Unfortunately, I also fell into a depression around this time, which, at some point, inflicted me with writer's block, leaving with no study and parched creativity. Earlier this year I signed up for a creative writing study in Amsterdam, started right away. Since then, my writer's block has seen phases, sometimes lifting, sometimes worsening, but slowly, ever so slowly fading away. I'm confident that one day it has left my body completely, and I can finally do, and focus on what I love the most.

I've joined the forum to learn more about other people's experiences with finding their passion, with the dreadful writer's block, and to read their work and hopefully learn.

Thank you all for reading and hope to see you around

Love,
    Luna

Cloudindigo likes this.
  2. Cloudindigo

Cloudindigo New Member

Wow... I literally just joined this forum maybe yesterday and I've already found someone I can relate to. In a lot of ways I find myself in the same situation as you are now and it's an uplifting feeling to know that someone out there is going through the same thing. Thank you for that and I wish you much success in writing your novel!

LunaWeissbach likes this.
  3. LunaWeissbach

LunaWeissbach New Member

Thank you! I'm now curious to your situation as well, would you mind telling me a bit more about it? feel free to do so through PM if you so desire.

Thank you :)

4. Tind

Tind New Member

I am struggling with mine for years. Block that is. Have all these characters, places, creatures that crawl just beneath my skin ready to come out at any moment and yet I can not reach them. The moment I try it turns out to be utter cr*p that doesn't do my friends of ink justice... :meh: