1. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

I need of an ending - sexy fantasy story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Imaginarily, Sep 19, 2015.

Here I am again.

So, my biggest hurdle in the history of anything I've ever written has been how in the world to end my novel. I started it in 2000 as a literary doodle, but my idea was cool enough (to me) that I followed it and it became this big huge epic thingy. I loved writing it so much that I never wanted it to end, but I realize that at some point it must.

(This is not my vampire story. A whole different thing completely.)

The novel is essentially a love story, taking place in a medieval-fantasy setting (because, dragons! and knights! I am a cliché). I've been told the story is Lovecraftian, too, because of insidious evil, nightmares, and such.

The gist of it is, my protagonist gets possessed by a banished evil deity and is violently corrupted. In order for the deity to be brought back to the world, the guy needs to have ritual sex with some tasty girl and get her pregnant. (I don't understand the whole "She has to be a virgin!" thing that's so common in these scenarios... Just, why? Is the womb like, not even usable anymore if she's had sex ever? Even if she was never pregnant? Gah. If someone can clarify this beyond "Because purity" that'd be great.) She will then give birth to the deity and everyone lives happily ever after for about ten seconds.

Anyway.

The protagonist finds a lovely girl and obviously falls in love with her. The plan goes sour, because now he can't bring himself to complete the ritual (which would kill her) and evil deity is pissed. Drama ensues, the deity kills him, and I'm left staring at the page like "... Oh. Well, shit. I didn't really want it to end there. Line?"

I feel like I've plotted myself into a corner here. I'm sort of okay with him ultimately getting killed, but there are still lots of loose ends to tie up if I stick with the ending I have. Also, there are a zillion things I need to edit in the main story, but the synopsis above is how it's going to end up. If you read it as is, you'd just make this face: :bigconfused: and probably chase me off with pitchforks and torches.

2. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Maybe he goes and finds another girl to knock up? Explain the situation to the girl he's in love with, then go knock up another girl. The diety goes away, and they live happily ever after!

Imaginarily likes this.
  3. Imaginarily

Well, the deity wouldn't go away after that. He'd be stomping Tokyo flat and eating everyone. I wouldn't let my boyfriend do that to Tokyo, would you?

4. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Well then after birthing the deity into the new baby body, figure out a way to banish it again somehow. Or put it in a magical cage where it can't go eat everyone. How did it get banished to begin with?

5. Imaginarily

I should elaborate a bit on the "birthing" process.

It's much less of a natural human birth and way more of an explode-out-of-you-fully-ready-to-take-over-the-universe sort of deal.

How did they banish him in the first place? Um, shit. Let me get back to you, I hadn't thought about that.

6. Imaginarily

Okay. Banishment.

So, according to my lore, there's 3 "chief" deities - the holy thing, the evil one that got banished, and the neutral one. I don't wanna get into too much detail (cos it's not really that important), but the holy/evil are balanced such that neither can overpower the other.

Since the neutral one is neutral, they wouldn't have interfered with what the evil one was doing, which leads me to: it was the people.

If I say they used some magical artifact to seal the deal, well then yawn, I'm bored, because that means everyone has to go on a quest to go find the thing again and I hate those stories.

I am much more inclined toward the evil deity's magics being morphed into something that could be used against him (since the holy stuff would just bounce off). I figure, some unaffiliated witch doctors could have stolen the required books and materials, performed their voodoo magic in secret, and saved the world that way.

This would have been several thousand years ago, however, meaning their ways have been (conveniently!) lost. The holy and the neutral deities have been chilling since the banishment, just having a nice easy reign; since evil thing has been out of the picture, nobody is trained to resist him anymore, so anyone who gets their hands on his texts would be easily swayed to simply follow the teachings contained there. Which is awesome honestly, because that means it rekindles his side of the religion! :-D

So, without proper immunity to the evil that would be stomping Tokyo if it were allowed to be born, there is no hope of ever defeating it again. Studying it would just corrupt the scholars.

Take that, plot-hole-poker! (Are there any other holes? That was a very productive exploration.)