Tags:
  1. James_Cook

James_Cook New Member

Can anyone help me write an extremely persuading and convincing email?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by James_Cook, Sep 3, 2019.

I have got a job offer but I want to write an apology email to HR mentioning few exaggerations I had mentioned in resume. I know I made a mistake but one of my ex-mentor once told me that I can no longer afford to remain sheep in this world of wolves.

I understand that I risk losing the job offer. However I want to send an extremely persuading and convincing email to apologise for my mistake and forgive me and appreciate my honesty.

I know I am talented enough to do the job and would also like to put across them that if in case the employer finds my performance below par then I am ready to return first 3 months salary during probation period.

I can do normal business correspondence but since this is a case wherein I need words which can create magic so hence I seeking help of all you wizards...

Anyone?

Tralala and Kinzvlle like this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I would say that it depends on whether your exaggerations were more like lies - if they weren't I'd suggest you don't mention them at all.

If they were and you're going to get found out on day one

"I am fully computer literate and am an expert with adobe indesign" = "I can just about check my email and have never used indesign"

Then its probably best to just be honest and upfront - they will almost certainly withdraw the offer, but that is better than being fired without a reference

You can forget about persuasive and convincing or any daft notions like returning salary - that just comes off as desperate.

Just be straight forward and honest.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd also mention that long ago i got my first proffesional job by claiming "I am an expert ornithologist with extensive experience in a wide range of field survey skills" - that was an utter lie, a more truthful version would have been "I am an expert bullshitter with a near photographic memory who will read several bird books before interview, I have never surveyed anything but hey how hard can it be"

I blagged the interview, got the job and spent the next six most miserable months of my life lying and ducking and weaving through a job I had no idea how to do, constantly afraid that i would be found out and lose my job (and house since it was tied to the role)... although it got me started looking back I would not recommend this approach

Tralala likes this.
  4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Dear Evil HR torturer!

I might have been a bit unclear in my pitch. Now I just must correct some things.

First of all... My name is not Elon Musk. And I'm not a rocket scientist. Second thing is...

EFMingo and Tralala like this.