1. VegetarianZombie

VegetarianZombie New Member

Hello Everyone ... nice to meet you.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VegetarianZombie, Aug 17, 2012.

Hello Everyone ...

It's funny how some days I can't stop talking and other days I just want to crawl under my desk until the A-Bombs start falling. Today is one of those quiet days.

My name is Brian and I'm doing my best to stop imaging myself a writer, and instead, be a writer. I try and write every day. Certainly five pages if If I'm good.

Part of my exercises take me here to join the conversation with other writers and hopefully, contribute a little whether it be critique or conversation. I've been writing off and on since I was young and I've earned just shy of two dollars. I have the check pinned to one of my bulletin boards.

I like to think I can handle rejection letters but they really do sting. Yes, rejection letters are better than no letters in practice, but no rejection letters don't hurt. Hopefully, I'll get over that. Maybe this community can help in that regard.

My claim to fame was knowing Ray Bradbury's nephew, Brad. He caught me reading Zen and the Art of Writing when I worked with him in Los Angeles. I didn't realize he was related to Ray. His last name of Bradbury just didn't stand out to me. Well, I had taken down copious amounts of notes in the margins of Zen and the Art of Writing. Brad caught me and then offered to get it signed.

"Sure, take it," I said. "And could you give him a note?"

Brad took that book and my note back to Ray who promptly lost both in his house littered with books. So, Ray sent me a copy from his personal library. It smelled of old books. The title read, "Brian, Good luck!". It always made me happy to know that my notes were lost somewhere in Ray's house, and now, a decade later and thousand of miles distant, it makes me sad to realize they are gone with Ray. Mind you, a good sad, but sad all the same.

Anyways, I look forward to meeting with you all.

I promise I'll be cheerier :)

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Brian!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

3. Hannibal Alexander

Hannibal Alexander New Member

Welcome Mr. Zombie :p
    amazing story about Bradbury, but what's even more amazing (to me) is that you are able to write 5 pages a day... that's GREAT!! and with that you ARE a writer (way more far along than i am).
    so what types of things do you write?

4. if.you.see.kay

if.you.see.kay New Member

Nice to meet you too