Tags:
  1. The Watcher

The Watcher New Member

Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Watcher, Jan 13, 2018.

Hello! This is my first post on Writing Forums so please excuse me if this has been a common question. I find myself always having trouble with the very first sentences of writing a story. Usually I feel that my introduction sentences are too clunky or just don't seem to grab the reader as well as it could. I find it especially challenging when it is in the 3rd person rather than the 1st person. Am I over thinking this or should o just put something down and continue with the rest of the story rather than focusing on the introduction? Thank you for any advice!

2. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Hello, and welcome.

Writing a good hook isn't always easy, but it's an important part of any story. However, it doesn't really do you any good to get hung up on it up front. Chances are that once you've written the rest of the story, you'll think of a good way to start it off.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I agree with that. I'd just write it. You got a long time between first draft and publication. It will come to you if you keep going.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. The Watcher

The Watcher New Member

Thank you for the input, and the welcome!

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

There is nothing wrong with writing your beginning again and again and again. And you probably will in the end. I don't really understand why your first sentence would be any clunkier than the rest of your sentences. Is clunky writing something you often struggle with. I think that's a matter that could need to be addressed throughout your story. Reading more helped me out of a clunky-writing phase. As far as writing a grabbing opening, I say check out The Paris Review's website and clinking on some of the fiction stories. It will only let you read a paragraph or two without buying the issue, but I think the fiction they publish has some of the best and attention-grabbing openings I've seen. It might stark some ideas for you.