1. New_to_Ya

New_to_Ya New Member

Short Story Short vs. Long stories

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by New_to_Ya, Jan 6, 2015.

Is there much of an audience for short stories.

2. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Banned

The general consensus is 1,000 to 20,000 words is short stories. At 500 words per page single spaced that's 40 pages or 80 pages if double spaced [250 words / page].

A lot of short stories become novelettes - as in there's more than one story per book. I wrote a novelette with my brother at 14, never made any money but that wasn't the intention as it was more for the fun.

As for audience - depends on what you write. And the nice thing about short stories, is you can literally write it to any genre.

Though I believe the general idea is between 10 & 3oish.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

What's your idea of a long story? Over 7k words? Over 10k words?

4. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Interesting choice of words for this question. In my mind many TV shows are nothing more than short stories. Rod Serling's whole Twilight Zone series was short stories in my mind, and had a great viewing audience. However you're probably thinking of a reading audience and things like Grimm's Fairy Tales come to mind for me, but even that is more directed at a verbal retelling of a story I suppose. I doubt if very many anthologies ever sell as well as a good single story book but that doesn't really mean there is a small audience either.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Do you mean short stories vs. novels?

I'd say there are probably more people making a living from novel writing than from short story writing, but there are precious few making a living from either. So... write what you like, and don't worry too much about the market. Once you get a few things sold, you'll develop your own ideas of what to write next.

New_to_Ya likes this.
  6. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Stephen Kings short stories have been doing pretty well economically.
    Also you can extend short story to a novel. It's harder the other way around.​

7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think Stephen King could write down the alphabet and it would become a best seller.

Adenosine Triphosphate and Chiv like this.
  8. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

The man could write about a peanut butter sandwich and I'd read the damn thing.

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm not a fan of short stories, myself, but they have one big advantage. You can enter them in competitions. If you win the competitions, then that's something you can use to market your future work.

If you write short stories in particular genres, like science fiction or fantasy, they can also be included in anthologies. They will need to be published in specialty magazines first, of course, but many genre magazines do encourage entries. So yes, it can be worthwhile to write short stories.

Do be aware, though ...writing a short story and writing a novel do not employ the same skills. Both need different approaches.

Of course if you become a famous author, like Stephen King or E Annie Proulx, or Alice Munro, you can market short story collections and be very successful as far as sales go. But in general, it's hard to market a collection of short stories if you are an unknown author. Not impossible though.

Good luck with your writing, whatever form it takes.

10. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I can't write short stories. I can't really write stories. A plotless novel can work. A plotless short story is pointless.

11. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

Bear in mind though, they didn’t before he was famous. Plus, I’m not aware of him selling individual shorts now. They’re always released as an anthology of shorts.

I believe there is an audience for short stories; I just don’t know where you’d find them. Personally, I like to read a good short. However, I don’t think there’s a paying audience for short stories and I don’t think the majority of people want to invest time reading short stories by unknown authors.

New_to_Ya likes this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

13. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

I thought pages were generally around 250 words.