1. Mask

Mask New Member

The Writer's Market, Finding Good Publishers and Agents

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Mask, Apr 5, 2013.

I wanted to ask about what the best way was to research which publishers and agents would be best. I was looking into this book, but some of its reviews are quite negative: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1599635941/?tag=postedlinks04-20

Do I just need to google like heck till I find a ton of information to sift through?

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Are you looking for markets for short stories or are you looking for agents?
    I don't think this book is a bad thing to have. Personally, I like sometimes being able to flip through a paper book in a different environment than when I'm online. But I'd always confirm the info in the book online, at the agency's website, just because information can change fairly quickly.

For short stories, I've always heard that people like duotrope, although they recently switched to a paid business model (although you can pay monthly). I haven't yet used it, because I have not submitted any short stories, yet.

As far as agents, the best ways to really get to know them is to hear them speak or meet them at writing conferences. If this isn't feasible, then yes, google is your friend. Find agents that way, but don't just query from google listings. Look at their websites, follow them on twitter, see if they have a blog (some agents do, and they're quite insightful), see if any of them have written any articles or give any seminars (online or in person.) Those are all ways to determine whether they seem like a good fit for you and for the type of books you write.

There are also some good articles and info about markets in writing magazines, such as The Writer and Writer's Digest. They both have websites and online versions, but if you prefer the old-fashioned magazine (as I do) you can usually find them in the magazine section at bookstores. (And obviously, you could subscribe.)

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

whatever source you use, always check out agents/publishers/workshops/etc. out at p&e first!

http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/

and, since dave only lists ones he knows about and/or he's sent info on, don't assume one is good, if he hasn't listed it... vet them carefully on your own, by checking out their sites and googling for negative/postive feedback, before contacting anyone...

4. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

I've said it before, but I think the best one is publishers marketplace. That would be for agents, generally, BUT you can look up publishers too, and see what, if any, agents have dealt with them. If reputable agents are dealing with the publishers, that should be a tick in the "positives " column. I know it's totally a personal preference, but I really think people should approach agents first, and then publishers. I think agents who are good, are worth their weight in gold.

Also remember that a reputable agent who has excellent sales, doesn't necessarily translate into the perfect business partner for you. Contact some of their authors. Ask about their experience. There are different styles of agenting. Some authors want lots of communication, and to be kept up to speed on every submission, some what to hear nothing until offer is in hand.

Another great place to research a publisher: the book store.

5. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

If you live in the UK the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook is a reputable and comprehensive annual index of agents, publishers and so on. I'm not quite sure what the equivalent would be in the USA.

The 2013 Writer's Market looks as good as any other paper resource. It seems from some of the reviews that it's not absolutely comprehensive, but with over 900 pages I'm sure there'd be enough listings in there to keep you busy for a while.

6. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

The problem with the Writers Market, when looking for agents, is it's a year old when you get it. Agents change what they're looking for, and if they're accepting submissions. They change agencies, or quit agenting all together. query tracker is good since agents update their own profiles, and when they leave, they close that portal and you know it. It's a good resource for publishers though.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's best to use agent listings such as the aar, for that very reason...