1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Catering to trolling / closing threads

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Steerpike, Jan 26, 2011.

Just a quick point for consideration, relating to the prostitution thread that was just closed.

A lot of people were having a fairly good discussion in that thread, and I think points were being presented in a reasonable manner, by and large.

Lavarian obviously had a problem with the thread. So he comes in and posts a couple of comments relating to trolling, and then the thread is closed. Mission accomplished.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that if it is that easy for a person who doesn't like a thread to get it closed down by posting a couple of troll comments, then doesn't the site really reward that kind of post? Doesn't it cater to the trolls at the expense of those having a reasonable discussion?

It seems like the message is that if you don't like a thread around here, it is pretty easy to get it shut down and prevent anyone else from talking about it.

Just a thought for consideration.

2. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Co-signed. We were able to resolve our differences politely and intelligently in the WBC thread without getting hit with the mod-hammer, and I think we could have done the same in that thread as well.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I think both the WBC and the Prostitution thread and there was one over christmas that got heated. Show what happens when adults discuss - both have been invaluable for writing research and could have continued to provide greater inspiration. I now have two brilliant new characters one from each thread.

However also know its not our choice - it has been nice though to see what can happen. I actually think the most troll like post was the one shouting about trolls.

4. art

art Contributor Contributor

I agree with all of the above. Some folk have very peculiar ideas about what constitutes trolling.

5. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Well, like I said in that thread, back to sitting around agreeing with one another that it's bad to be different in the General Writing section.

6. Steerpike

Well, I understand there's a balance that mods have to strike to keep the site from becoming a flame-fest (and of course there are plenty of sites that have degenerated to that on the web).

But it does become discouraging, sometimes, to see how easily a person bent on trolling or discord can shut a thread down here. It really ends up "punishing" (and I use that word lightly) the reasonable people who are exchanging ideas and learning from them.

Seems like a better approach would be to go after the offender in a thread. Maybe instead of closing that thread, the mods could say "OK, person X, you can't post in this thread anymore." And if they don't abide by that decision, then it's infractions or bans or whatever that system is on this web site. In that way, the mature people can actually continue to discuss a subject.

7. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth Active Member

Well, yes, that would be the logical thing to do...

8. evelon

evelon Active Member

Totally agree. Feels like we've been told to shut up with no good reason.
    How old are we?

9. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

thix ;)

10. evelon

evelon Active Member

I'm older than you then. I'm theven.

11. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Some topics are more inflammatory than others. Threads on politics, pedophilia, and The fun of illegal drug usage, for example, will always get closed. The MOD staff has to close some topics early because it is clear how they will end (in tears). I believe that was the case with the prostitution thread. Keep in mind that the MOD team is composed of REAL human beings who have their own lives outside of the forum. (They have better things to do than sit around and wait for the perfect moment to close a thread).

As to trolls, the MODs do make notes and will take action when needed. When it becomes a problem vacations are given. Chronic problems result in bans.

I realize that we are all grown-ups here (well, most of us any way) but at the end of the day this is a writing message board. Things like politics and socio-economic issues are not really related to the board's purpose. There are lots of other better focused boards out there to cater to such specifics.

*EDIT*
    Plus I'm older than you both, I'm thnine.

1 person likes this.
  12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This. All of this without a single change to any word.

13. evelon

evelon Active Member

Understand the need for mods to be vigilant and to close down any thread that doesn't adhere to guidelines. Also understand that some subjects may result in a thread turning nasty.

I think we could have reached that point earlier in the post when it was talking about the sex and age. But nobody took it to the point when it became a problem.

When it was closed down, we were having a perfectly normal discussion about a subject that we are all familiar with and on which we all have valid views.

I also appreciate and commend the mods for doing the job they do. But I also think that we are entitled to comment when we don't agree with something they do.

Regarding other more suitable boards, The Lounge is for 'anything not related to writing' .

14. art

This is an argument for not allowing such discussions to begin at all; not an argument for allowing them to begin and then cutting them short on the back of irrational promptings.

Just saying like. All of the moderators do a fine job, especially Wreybies, who is my favourite.

15. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Lol, trolls. :D Do we actually have some here? I can never be bothered to read general discussion stuffs. :p

16. Steerpike

I agree, the mods do good work. I was just posting this as food for thought, primarily because it seems like the troll, whose objective is to disrupt a thread, is successful, while the considerate users lose. Thought there might be a better way to go about it.

I won't say anything further on the subject though. No need to belabor the point :)

17. art

Wreybies is your favourite too!:eek:
    It's the pun ain't it. Pure genius.