1. triagain22

triagain22 New Member

Need a word

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by triagain22, Mar 5, 2018.

I have tried google, dictionaries, online thesaurus, and "phone-a-friend". I can't find a word, or shorter and clearer phrase that describes what I'm looking for.

Allow me to Explain.
    Short scene:
    Ty's day is off to a bad start, and he spikes his coffee with Whiskey.
    Julius comments, "Gonna be a long day with that attitude."
    Ty grins and responds, "Not if a mix a few more like this, should end up bein' a pretty short one," wishing that he could indeed make that the case.
    Julius picks up on Ty's intent and nods slightly, raising his eyebrows as he takes a long breath. "Yeah, no kidding. I hear you." With that said he pushes off from leaning against the counter to pour his own morning cap.

THAT - Julius's final reaction/response - is what I'm trying to better describe. It's not really grim humour, but it sort of is. It's not cynicism, but kind of does come from a more cynical outlook.
    It's how you react when something is riding the line between inappropriate and amusing. Or when you look at your life on this Earth and think the whole world is crazy.
    Like in the instance above, when Julius gives Ty a bad time for drinking at 8AM, but totally understands and relates to Ty's reasons, and fully intends to be right beside him with a bottle of tequila.
    It's... "Yes, this isn't the way this should be, and it's kind of funny, but really it's almost crippling because it also makes me fear for/face the current state of my life/the world."

Of course everyone reacts in their own way, but the underlying emotion/feeling must have some kind of general category that branches into specifics?
    Do you know what I mean?

Any insight, suggestions, or direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. triagain22

triagain22 New Member

Okay. Well, first of all, that's not the actual excerpt of my writing. I was merely trying to emphasize the point of what I'm looking for.
    And Second, I appreciate your criticism, and will admit that I can be wordy. That is something I will take under revise. But everyone does process things differently, so there are times in my writing when I feel it's important to properly and specifically express what I mean.
    Also, at this point it's just bugging me that I can't come up with the word I want.

3. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

It's one of Asimov's favorite words. (Seriously, he uses it in every story.)

sardonic: grimly mocking or cynical.

That's kind of a mouthful, so you could also use dry or wry. "No kidding, I hear you," he said wryly.

triagain22 likes this.
  4. triagain22

triagain22 New Member

Thank you Seven Crowns! That is exactly the word I needed. I am not sure how it and its synonyms so determinedly avoided me.

Ah, Carly Berg, I see what you were meaning now. Ironic that even as aspiring and accomplished professional writers we still manage to miscommunicate. :p

Carly Berg likes this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me.