1. prettyvisitors

prettyvisitors Member

Inciting Incidents

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by prettyvisitors, Sep 14, 2018.

Hi (first post here),

I have a good idea for the protagonist in my head. I know their personality traits, likes, dislikes, appearance, etc., but I cannot think of an inciting incident to set the character on their journey (my character is an actor struggling to find work and I can't think of anything that would put them in a tailspin).

If you've chosen one for your story, how did you choose that one out of all possibilities? How did you know that was the right one for the character, and would provide a hook for the reader?

2. ixk

ixk Banned

lend u an idea- if u like it-
    _ gets sucked into the Web; casually this awakens character, piece by piece

3. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

Not sure if it helps, but I started my story about a failing actor with them getting an audition for a big part in a big movie and the casting director struggling not to laugh at them. Which led to them getting a small part in a zero-budget movie because they were desperate.

Basically just a motivation for them to take the part that would lead them to a remote Scottish island where bad things happen.

In general, I normally rewrite the first few chapters of a book a few times before I know who the characters are and where the story begins. That doesn't seem uncommon as I've read articles by much more successful writers than me who said they had to add or throw away multiple chapters before the book started in the right place.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    prettyvisitors likes this.
  4. ixk

ixk Banned

it helps if the character is a (layers) joke- then there is no need for a re-write

5. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Active Member

How about character went to an audition for a part they were really keen on, they were told they'd got the part, then later told it was a mistake and the part had been given to a hated/despised rival?
    I usually find nice juicy bits for my characters by writing random 1 page stories in which they are central, most often starts off as just scribble but something usually develops after a paragraph or so.

6. prettyvisitors

prettyvisitors Member

great! I really like the idea of some kind of horrible embarrassment for the protagonist

7. prettyvisitors

prettyvisitors Member

I LOVE the idea of the character doing an acting project out of desperation!! maybe it's obvious but i was really stuck on how to lift the protagonist out of their misery

one of the next plot developments is a bit of a remote island socially, so that makes perfect sense, i just need to connect the dots

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

This reminds me of La La Land. Emma Stone was an aspiring actress looking for a break into the industry and no one was giving it to her, so she set up her own play in a one-woman show.

9. prettyvisitors

prettyvisitors Member

i loved la la land! i never thought of that part in reference to this story

obviously I couldn't copy it, but that's a really good idea to take inspiration from

Mckk likes this.
  10. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Thnk about your setting and how your MC's personality could potentially work with or against your setting. My MC is naturally curious and has a thirst for knowledge. She is tired of staying in her comfort zone, like her people who have no curiosity for life outside of their community. What kinds of trouble could this type of character get in to? what is she looking for or what does she want to learn in the long run? once I've figured out these things, the marble that put the whole story in motion came about.

(in all honesty, my current WIP didnt start with a character... it started with a scene, then from that scene I branched out and wrote more and more, THEN developed the character.... but for the tie in stories, the above is how I got to find the inciting incident)