1. cmcpress

cmcpress New Member

London Book Fair

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by cmcpress, Apr 15, 2011.

Hello! It's been a while on this site due to commitments, India and contracting a nasty tummy bug whilst i was there...

Just come back from the London Book Fair where we launched our new audiobook company. Had some promising meetings with a couple of distributors and publishers about providing ancilliary services.

It's quite interesting to see the mentality of the agents, publishers and so on - from agents in their ivory towers on the second floor to the publishers and seminars where ebooks and digital publishing seems to be the watchword. But no one really has a cogent strategy or an answer to piracy or the big guys like Amazon etc. 360 deals seem to be the watchword with agents now stopping the gap between digital downloads and the author.

Overall i was surprised by the attitudes to authors, generally quite hard to get close to agents (they're barred from upstairs - rights owners only).

Also interesting to see the sales figures for the big guys - Harper Collins et al going down whilst the smaller labels increasing slightly.

One of my old friends, Lucy Lord, has just been signed to HC for a trilogy of, er, hedonistic books. I'm really pleased for her. Until i heard i had no idea she was writing a book!

So did anyone else go? Are there any other simlar trade fairs near you? Have you had any experience networking with other authors / publishers etc?

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi! Cmcpress,

I'm coming down to London next week on the 20th, so I'll just miss it, bad timing on my part.

I wanted to be there for the Royal Wedding but commitments meant I couldn't make it for then. Not that I'm a staunch Royalist or anything - it is just that I thought it might be a good time to be there, a great atmosphere.

To get back to your post - we do get a lot of local authors visiting our libraries. These can be very informative and interesting.

We once had a retired detective (author) do a forensic work shop in the library. I attended with some apprehension -thinking if this proves to be too much for me, I'll politely leave - I needn't have worried, it was fascinating.

I don't think I have answered the question you asked, but Hey!

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I haven't gone yet - I really wanted to go to the Wrtiers Convention thing in Winchester but with moving finances won't allow it. I am hoping to go 2012. Bit far for me to go though.

We have lots of authors visiting and Book festivals in North Scotland always have had - a local author can pack out a small library in a small village. I think Jessie Smith is our most popular. Margaret Atwood and I think Iain (M) Banks are in Aberdeen next month. Aberdeen University are having a literary fair. Highlands usually have one - Elgin had theirs we had oh the lady that wrote the YA books about the divide in Ireland forget her name lol Loved her books though.

4. cmcpress

cmcpress New Member

haha - i think it may be, some friends of mine are having a wedding party which i was surprised about as i really thought no one would be bothered.

I was reading last night that there is even a Kate and Wills movie coming out!

That sounds really interesting - what did he talk about?

5. cmcpress

cmcpress New Member

I definitely recommend it if you have the time, it's an eye opener for sure.

I'd love to meet Margaret Attwood - the Handmaid's tale is a big influence. you're so lucky!

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

It was fascinating.

He is now a forensic artist - that is to say, if someone has been missing for a number of years he will draw a picture of what they will possibly look like to-day.

He also spoke of specific cases - which were eye-opening.

He gave the clues to some cases and we the class were asked to work it out.

He asked us, what was the best way to dispose of a body. Of cause no one got the answer right, so he told us.

He also talked about decomposition, mummification, the the effects of the elements on a dead body.

He told us a lot of amusing stories about his time in the police force.

I went to the work shops because I am interested in crime writing.

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Its Iain (M) Banks I am thinking of going to I know Margaret Attwood is the big star but I am writing fantasy and detective fiction so thought he might be more informative. I checked it is the Aberdeen one he is going to but apparently Moray and Highlands are talking about him appearing there which is closer to me.

Joan Lingard is the author Elgin had as their star attraction. This is a good area if you decide to self publish as local authors do get support - a small library like Lossiemouth can pull in like 45+ people on a talk (population of around 6000) - the writer will probably sell around that many books at an event. 45 is standing room out the door only pretty much it is tiny. Most of the main towns in North of Scotland seem to have some level of book festival.