1. Jed

Jed New Member

Gotham City?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jed, Aug 25, 2010.

I have some logistics with a story that I am working on. I don't want to give too much away but the bulk of my story takes place in a fictional city within the United States. I was wondering if there were any books that anyone knew of that dealt with similar material. Though I live in a rather large city and can describe most of my fictional set piece based on personal information, I was also wondering if anyone knew of any good non-fiction books concerning city planning or computer based city building programs that might be useful. Thanks

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why do you think you need books on city-building, for pete's sake?... just use what you know/see/can research and make up whatever's needed for your story... that's what writers do, when setting a story in a fictional city...

3. NyMichael20

NyMichael20 New Member

I've tried the fictional city thing, and for me anyway, it came out too strange for my story. It was my one attempt at Sci-Fi and I was trying to make it as realistic as possible, so I set it in the future and depicted a world where overpopulation caused cities to be built in deserts. If I remember correctly I called it "Mojave City" Just something to think about.

4. Shinn

Shinn Banned

I agree with Mia, just do plenty of research on real cities that are closely related to the fictional city you want to have in your story.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Every city has a character all its own. There are regional characteristics, but even adjacent cities like Boston and Cambridge Massachusetts have their own distinctive qualities.

Giving your fictional city a regional flavor and yet a special character is as challenging as developing a human character.

Have fun with it!