1. emptymind

emptymind New Member

Looking for a particular writing device

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by emptymind, Jul 29, 2016.

I don't know where to post this and I think I'm crazy for trying to find this because it doesn't seem to exist.

I want an electronic tablet of sorts, that has a physical keyboard. This device should be specifically geared towards writing of all kinds and not a general use tablet like a Kindle fire. The reason is because I want to have as little distraction possibilities as possible. Such as internet browsing.

It should have tools such as dictionary/thesaurus, grammar/spelling check. Perhaps something neat like common word and cliche or bad format check. Ability to upload to Googledocs or other cloud service is kinda a must too.

Am I just nuts for looking for something like this? Anyone know of something like this?

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I wouldn't say that you are nuts, no. It's completely understandable. However, I'm inclined to think that a device developed for that purpose, with only those specifics, would simply be too specific. Not enough people would buy it, and the company that produces it would fail.
    Now, maybe my view of this is just too pessimistic and such a device actually exists (though I doubt it)...

Maybe some other device (like a Kindle, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, etc.) could be set up to work like that? With the right tools you should be able to lock apps and maybe even blacklist (or whitelist) websites. If you had to bypass a lock every time you're geared towards distraction it might raise the bar enough to put you off. I have an app-thingy on my phone that allows me to lock apps (must enter password to launch them) as well as hide apps so that they don't show up on the home screen nor the app list.

lexusmr and emptymind like this.
  3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Chromebooks are supposed to be minimalist. Although trying to find a computer without the internet seems silly. Instead of looking for a computer without distractions, why not turn the distractions off?

The Chromebooks are built for exactly what you're describing minus the internet thing. You could get one of those and get one of a minimalist word processing program (Writeroom or Scrivener has a full-screen function). They are Google devices so access to Googledocs should be a no brainer.

emptymind and Komposten like this.
  4. emptymind

emptymind New Member

I was thinking something similar to the Kindle (reading device only) but with writing capabilities as well. And yeah it does seem too specific.

5. emptymind

emptymind New Member

This does sound like a good idea, I may look into those.

Spencer1990 and Komposten like this.
  6. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Chromebooks are relatively cheap and offer almost exactly what you're looking for. If you plan on doing more eventually, I would advise against these specific machines as they are extremely limited in their scope. Do some research and see what you find.

emptymind likes this.
  7. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Also, here are some tips about distractions:
    1) Try to get rid of as many distractions as possible (as suggested by @Spencer1990). Maybe you can turn the WiFi off when you are writing (so you would have to re-activated every time you're drawn towards Facebook, YouTube, news, whatever), close all distracting programs and hide their desktop/startmeny/dock shortcuts, etc.
    2) Turn of notifications from apps/programs.
    3) See if you can find a program that allows a fullscreen mode (also suggest by @Spencer1990). Writing in fullscreen means that you can't see any of the distractions (so no risk of getting distracted by flashing windows or stuff).

ETA:
    4) Set up small breaks in your writing sessions. Maybe write for 15-30 minutes, then take a 5-minute "do whatever you want"-break.
    5) Reward yourself somehow if you manage a session without being distracted. Say that you get to do (or eat, etc.) something you like only if you don't allow yourself to get distracted.

emptymind and Spencer1990 like this.
  8. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

You could pay a techie to make themselves a 'super-admin' and password restrict access to your device so you can only use the relevant apps for writing and browse a filtered list of sites. Wouldn't be expensive if you gave a clear brief (couple of hour's labour I'd say + giving away a bit of trust). When your work is done... they could reverse the modifications and hand you back your fully fledged device.