1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the fold! :)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wreybies, Mar 9, 2016.

We have recently experienced a spike of new members joining the forum! This is terrific and excellent and may it continue on for the foreseeable future. :agreed:

Since we have so many new members, I thought it prudent to give a reminder as to the core concept of our forum to avoid any hard feelings and to reduce the need for moderator action. Ours is a Workshopping forum. The idea we espouse is practicing the critique process so that one can learn to hone a more objective eye when it comes time to edit, revise or reconsider our own respective works in progress. That's the reason our forum has some requisites as regards making use of the Writing Workshop, which is the only place in our forum where it is appropriate to post drafts or portions of one's work for the consideration of others. This helps keep our Workshop as active as it is. Reciprocity is the fuel for the engine.

The upper quarter of the forum (titled Creative Writing) is for asking specific questions about either writing in general or about one's work in progress, but is not the location to post your work, or portions thereof, for general consideration. If your question on a portion of your work is "What do you think of this?" (followed by an excerpt of your writing) then that's for the Workshop.

If you are doubtful as to where a thread should go, please don't hesitate to ask a moderator or myself. :)

2. kalulu

kalulu New Member

Thank You for the useful information! Kind regards, kalulu

Oscar Leigh, jannert and Wreybies like this.
  3. Fawky

Fawky Member

Thanks!

I feel like I'm already learning the ropes, joining this forum was a fantastic decision on my part. Even though I've only been around for a week, I've gotten to post reviews and see things from other points of views which has taught me a lot. Looking forward to diving even deeper into the world that is writingforums.org.

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

*Gets out the water hose and sprays all these new kids off my lawn!*

Haha just kidding! Welcome to the forum and enjoy! Plus, remember that @Wreybies isn't the only moderator on this forum, so even though he might seem like a really nice guy and the person you should always go to for help... he has a lot of people going to him, so make sure to spread the wealth around and reach out to one of the other peeps.

If you need to know who the others are you can go to this link: https://www.writingforums.org/members/?type=staff

But if you pay attention, if a moderator is online they will show up on the right hand side of your screen when you are on some of the pages like the "New Posts" page. :superidea:

5. kalulu

kalulu New Member

Yet another very helpful post - thank you Lewdog! :)

Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

[​IMG]

7. Death2ignorance

Death2ignorance Member

Thanks! I'm pretty new to writing, but this place has already been incredibly helpful!

Oscar Leigh, jannert and Wreybies like this.
  8. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Welcome everyone! Don't forget to dust off your shoes and hang your coat and hat up before entering. Gotta be respectful around here. ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Fernando.C, jannert and Oscar Leigh like this.
  9. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Good timing @Wreybies! I was just comparing how different the culture was at Writingforums from other places I've been. The key difference in my own experience is that I feel here I get back as much as I give. Quite a few threads and tools (progress journeys, even the comps which I have not participated but actually want to) makes me want to write. That is the only reason I come to forums besides procrastinating.

But I think that the administrators/moderators and long time members are key in keeping the eco-system of this writing forum healthy so all this can happen. @BayView and @jannert come to mind immediately but there are so many helpful people here, and that was what struck me on arriving. I think that makes new members respond positively, want to stay and contribute.

WritingForums is a happy place. My only suggestion, maybe brighten up the website. I'm thinking sunshine, rainbows and unicorns...

upload_2016-3-15_23-34-8.png
    * Found this on the internet and no, I did not add the stars this time! ;)

Okay, that might be a bit gaudy, but at least do something about that uninspiring banner!

Anyway, the point of this post was just to say thank you to everyone who tries to make this a good place to hang out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Oscar Leigh, BayView and jannert like this.
  10. Indarican

Indarican Member

Thanks, this forum is wonderful!!! I just got started but I love reading the different stories and seeing how different people write. I also am getting lots of information from here instead of searching all over the place for it.
    Thank you all again!!!

Oscar Leigh and Lewdog like this.
  11. Dogbird

Dogbird New Member

Thank you great forum!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. Sophie Leo

Sophie Leo New Member

Thanks for sharing this information.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Marina Grönbäck

Marina Grönbäck New Member

Thanks for this

14. Awelvi

Awelvi Banned

Hello I'm new to this forum and new to writing I see here a lot of useful advice, thank you I am pleased to get acquainted with the members of the forum