1. D'hai

D'hai Member

A Sin and a Scene

Discussion in 'Word games' started by D'hai, Jan 7, 2015.

So what is this whole thing about :

This is an activity we used to do when me and a couple of friends entertained writing workshops. The whole idea of it is to start off with a scene from a book you are reading or have read that has stuck with you, one that you are still able to recall very vividly and after that you need to put yourself in the shoes of one of the characters in the scene and talk about which of the Seven Deadly Sins (Pride, Avarice, Envy, Wrath, Lust, Gluttony, Sloth) characterizes this character most or alternatively talk about which Sin characterizes you most.
    The activity is all about sharing an awesome scene with everyone else and adding a personal touch to it with a bit of yourself. Hope you enjoy this! :)

A Scene:
    From H.P. Lovecraft "Rats in the walls":
    " At some time I must have fallen quietly asleep, for I recall a distinct sense of leaving strange dreams, when the cat started violently from his placid position. I saw him in the faint auroral glow, head strained forward, fore feet on my ankles, and hind feet stretched behind. He was looking intensely at a point on the wall somewhat west of the window, a point which to my eye had nothing to mark it, but toward which all my attention was now directed. And as I watched, I knew that Nigger-Man was not vainly excited. Whether the arras actually moved I cannot say. I think it did, very slightly. But what I can swear to is that behind it I heard a low, distinct scurrying as of rats or mice. In a moment the cat had jumped bodily on the screening tapestry, bringing the affected section to the floor with his weight, and exposing a damp, ancient wall of stone; patched here and there by the restorers, and devoid of any trace of rodent prowlers. Nigger-Man raced up and down the floor by this part of the wall, clawing the fallen arras and seemingly trying at times to insert a paw between the wall and the oaken floor. He found nothing, and after a time returned wearily to his place across my feet. I had not moved, but I did not sleep again that night. "
    I read this recently and could not stop thinking about it and the rest of the story. Lovecraft has a way of doing that to you, especially if you are brave enough to read it at night with only a tiny light for a companion.

A Sin:

I will choose the latter and talk about what Sin characterizes me most, sloth, I expect many will fell the same as me here when I say distractions nowadays are everywhere and even thought you can ignore them if you have the necessary willpower, sometimes you still get distracted and lose valuable time to things not so important. A lot of times a ounce of procrastination is good for the soul but personally I indulge in a unhealthy amount of it.