1. lemonhead

lemonhead New Member

Curious about this....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lemonhead, May 22, 2008.

What age are you?
    What do you write?

I am just curious because I see a lot of young and fantasy and I was wondering if that is the case for everyone on here.
    :)

2. Al B

Al B New Member

Nope, I'm old. Born in 1965 to be exact.

Initially writing was a job for me long before it was a hobby. I wrote for a daily newspaper for about ten years, but from a professional standpoint, I now only write as a freelancer when doing non-fiction, that is, unless it is as part of the writing courses I teach. Whereas with fiction, it is not my main job, despite the fact that I have had works of fiction published. That's one to note if you harbour desires to make a living from writing fiction by the way - you need to get a lot of it published if you expect it to support you financially!

Al

3. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

Young and Fantasy :p
    hehehe.

I'm young and I'm FantasyWitch. Guess my favourite genre.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

38 ~ Science Fiction

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

55 - science fiction, and some general fiction (usually with a bit of Twilight Zone). And the occasional poem.

When I finished all but one of my classes (college) last year, I didn't want to lose the writing momentum I had built up doing papers for school. I've always had an interest in language and good stories, but had never really taken the time to get serious about creative writing. So I found a link to this forum and decided to join. I received some good advice on a short story I had been halfheartedly working on for a few years,and started writing some new pieces.

Now, for the first time, I'm diving into writing a novel. Maybe it will be publishable, maybe not. But I will work on it, and continue writing short stories, regardless.

I'm not a big fan of the fantasy genre, although there are a few that are outstanding. I doubt I will ever write in that genre, at least anything significant.

6. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

19~ Fantasy. . .

I try to write fantasy but it's hard and I don't get anywhere. I think I write teen angst pretty well. . .

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Nearly 18 - Science Fiction, Horror, Thirller

8. Milady

Milady Active Member

Heheh... fifteen (young!), and any speculative fiction...be that science fiction, fantasy, horror...

I used to read only fantasy, though... and I tend to gravitate toward writing it. Not so original, am I?

9. Titania

Titania New Member

18 - mostly fantasy :)

I read mostly fantasy and a little sci-fi, though that is increasingly inaccurate these days, chiefly because I've gotten to the point where I'm rather picky... I like a lot of weird stuff (alternate histories, fantasy which is a bit outside the usual rules / concepts). As far as writing, all of my major (potentially novel-length) projects seem to be fantasy, but more and more of my fringe projects - poetry (does anyone write fantasy poetry?), short stories and the like - aren't.

That said, yes, I'm young, and fantasy is my writing home :p I love being able to create new worlds, and the escapism (I'll admit) is a wonderful chance to get away from daily life and reality.

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Im 17, and I write whatever comes into my imagination. A little bit of everything most often. But like a lot of people, I started out writing fantasy. I think many start there because it has the widest boundaries on what you can do.

11. companionableills

companionableills New Member

17 and general fiction with twists of reality like Cat's Cradle or Survivor.

12. yfc54

yfc54 New Member

54 and mostly crap:D

13. Kratos

Kratos New Member

14 (although my birthday is in 3 weeks) and Fantasy.

Guess I'm pretty typical. :cool:

14. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

14, and I guess I write fantastical stuff, but hard fantasy- with dragons and swords and elves- just makes me gag. A vast majority of it is intensely unoriginal.
    I write a bit more sci-fi than fantasy, with lots of comedic relief.

15. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

17 here, and my preferred genre is near-future sci-fi, with plenty of comedy and occasional romance stuck in here and there. I prefer to focus on characters rather than world-building; I guess that's why I don't do too much fantasy. With sci-fi, I don't feel like I have to spend as much time on the environment as what's going on with my guys and gals.

...Of course, I still made up a fictitious planet Earth and intend to have every future story I write take place in that same planet Earth, but there's not a lot to it.

16. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I'm 31 and write fantasy. I started writing fantasy stories before age eleven, though.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh...I also write occult/drama, some anthro, and some...er, adultish-type stuff.

17. Cpn. Anon

Cpn. Anon New Member

I'm 18. I'm not sure exactly what i write, but i enjoy the sounds of what i write, and the images i create.

18. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

34 and I tend to write non-fiction.

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

at 43 and 55, al and cog are just a couple of kids! ;-)... i'll be 70 in less than 4 months...

what i write now is almost all philosophical stuff... essays and what i call 'philosetry' for 'everyday use'... nothing fancy and hard to understand, just unbiased observations of the human species and its behavior... that my conclusions may be seen as 'biased' by some, is just the result of my not being able to sugarcoat what i see... i'm only the mirror... you can see it all on my site linked below...

what i wrote in my old life, is just about anything that takes words, as i was a highly paid [up to $150/hr] writing consultant for clients who wanted everything from creative dunning letters to the likes of 'the donald' and joan rivers, to advertising copy and help with a doctoral application essay and thesis, while also being a freelance writer of my own fiction, non-fiction, poetry, song lyrics, plays, screenplays, and so on...

nowadays, in addition to my work as a philisopher/writer, i also help and mentor writers of all breeds all over the world, so am always 'writing' all kinds of stuff as examples... plus am more or less ghostwriting a non-fiction book for one 'mentee' by email and rewriting another 'in the flesh' for a local writer...

20. akazi

akazi New Member

Hio I'm 22 and write fiction atm and probably will for a long time ahead. But ages ago when I began thinking of a story it was very traditional action/sci fi, before I moved over to fantasy for a short while. I left it because fantasy in general for me doesnt give that sense of "it must be at least remotely possible to our current worldview".
    While the worldbuilding is still part of my creative work and I've kept many of the elements from that period, I want the characters and intrigues to be the focal point.
    My ambition have for many years been to tell the greatest story I can put together and that my readers can see the underlying messages I think is important.

21. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I am old enough! :p

I write fiction...mostly crime/drama. I love it...but I think I would like to try and write horror for a change, just to see if I could. I enjoy reading it, but I have never attempted to write it.

22. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I'm 14. I have not written anything novel-lenght, but have thought of many, created many worlds and written many things. I write fantasy, dark fantasy and alternative history.

23. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

21 - and I write/draw comics. I'll write in any genre it just depends though my current project is sort of Noir styled.

24. oldyi

oldyi New Member

46, I'm not a native english guy but try to write something in english for my 3 major wishes I made several years ago.

Please correct me wherever is inadequacy.

25. sharonkv777

sharonkv777 New Member

No fantasy here

I am not young and I don't write fantasy. And rarely, do I write fiction. As they say, real life is often stranger than....and more interesting, in my own opinion.
    QUOTE=lemonhead;192043]What age are you?
    What do you write?

I am just curious because I see a lot of young and fantasy and I was wondering if that is the case for everyone on here.
    :)[/QUOTE]