1. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Olympics

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yellowm&M, Feb 13, 2010.

It's that time of year, that only comes every four years...the Winter Olympics are here. As I'm sure most everyone knows, the 2010 games are being hosted in Vancouver, Canada. This event crosses and unites the world for just a few weeks every couple of years, which has become quite an amazing feat. Since this is a bit of a big deal, I figured it deserved it's own thread. ;)

So here is your stop to talk anything about the Olympics, though, of course please do not start arguments or make any rude or offensive comments about other people/countries.

Let the talking commence!

2. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

All I'm going to say is poor, poor Georgia. Not only does Russia hate them but apparently so do poles.

3. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

We were discussing it in the Sports thread, but it's probably better with a thread of its own. I for one am a big fan of the opening ceremonies. The part with the fiddling was fantastic. I just wish that, since they decided to include Hallelujah, they had Leonard Cohen perform.

Go Canada!

4. rory

rory Active Member

I watched the opening ceremonies for a bit tonight, just enough to see Canada come in. I really enjoyed the people in white dancing along the sidelines. They looked like they were having so much fun. Or maybe they were just trying to stay warm.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I enjoyed seeing all the First Nations people dancing.

6. Agreen

That was very nice. They seemed so happy when Canada came out.

The mechanical difficulty with the torch was surreal.

Also, I'm not a fan but Gretzky was the perfect choice to light the cauldron.

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I missed the opening ceremonies because I had to work. :(

But I'm so excited for Apolo Ohno!!!!

/fangirl moment

Sorry, I lost control for a moment.

8. rory

rory Active Member

Okay so I watched it again on the American station. I liked when they said that Canada had a "shift in attitude" because of the medal goal. "Welcome to Canada! We're friendly, we're glad you're here, we want you to have a good time. And now we're going to kick your butt." LOL! I love sport announcers.

9. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Wow, I thought the opening ceremony was fantastic! The projecter thing was really really cool. It's a shame that they had those mechanical difficulties with the cauldron though, still it didn't go off that badly. The rest of the show was amazing though.

10. Rei

Seconded. And that's the way our country is, rory. We got attitude that most people don't know about because they're too busy noticing how polite and accepting we are.

11. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I have mixed feelings about the opening ceremony.

I thought the floor designs all throughout were amazing(but especially with the orcas --that was incredible how the director made 2-D become 3-D :love: ), and I really thought the opening with the first people of Canada was fantastic as well. :) However, almost all of the music selections left something to be desired (in my opinion at least), nor was I a fan of the fiddling segment. I will say that I thought the most amazing parts were the floor design, the floating canoue (sp?), and the very beginning (after the athletes were seated) when it really looked like it was snowing inside the arena. It was a very impressive follow-up to Beijing.

I'd like to know from a few Canadians, however: What did you think about the emphasis on the native people? I felt very confused. I've never been to any part of Canada, so I really wouldnt know, but all this time as I've been hearing about the 2010 Winter Olympics, Vancouver has been held in a cosmopolitan, modern, electric light. I wasnt expecting such an emphasis on the opposite, and it began to baffle me because I wasnt sure what the creative director was trying to do.

I loved that the decision was made to bring in the athletes before the creative ceremony. It is for them, after all. I hope this is the beginning of such a tradition.

I'm very excited for the United States but am more excited for this universal event in general. It is wonderful to see so many different people from different backgrounds and corners of the globe take part in a major event. And just the idea of so much talent in one place... I wish I could be there. :)

12. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Can you imagine winning a gold medal at the olympics?
    It's one thing to know you're good at something, but to be rated as the best in the entire world?
    What a feeling!

13. Rei

Vancouver is a very diverse city, but it once belonged to those nations that opened the ceremony. Having them introduce it was a symbolic recognition of that fact. It's not much, but it's a start.

14. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

I'm annoyed that the olympics will make sure there's nothing I'll enjoy watching on the tv for weeks. >.<

15. rory

rory Active Member

I think they always find a way to incorporate the First Nations at any major event. The Calgary Stampede and the Spruce Meadows Masters for example. They don't focus on it, but they are still part of it along with everything else. It's possible they are careful not to step on any toes when it comes to international events, but more likely it something they feel should be shared with the rest of the world. Canada is, after all, supposed to be a multicultural country and what not.

16. Agreen

That was pretty much the only part of the ceremony I expected, though to be fair, I don't think anyone called the devil fiddling in a canoe under the moon or five minutes of someone floating over a brown screen. Or the cauldron not working :p

I believe it was supposed to be a look back at the history of the land- not just the relatively recent development of a country called Canada. In many major international Canadian sporting events, part of the ceremony is spent honouring the First Nations.

And yeah, the music was... unfortunate. Hallelujah wasn't the only song that got mangled, the version of the national anthem that opened the ceremony was dreadful. I guess bad music is an important part of Canadian culture, I mean they have to force our stations to play it. Except for the fiddling. The fiddling was awesome.

In more sombre news, it looks like the luge event is going to go on, but modifications have been made to turn 16, where the fatal crash occurred, and the men will be starting a bit lower on the track which will reduce their speed at the bottom. The frustrating thing is that this track was known to be dangerous, several athletes expressed their concern over it prior to the games, and it had already caused numerous injuries prior to yesterday.

17. Rei

That is pretty disappointing, Agreen. Then again, that's usually what it takes to get people to do something.

18. Agreen

Canada 18- Slovakia 0. Women's hockey is one of my favourite events, because it's the one event we complete dominate in. According to Sportsnet, this was a record setting game, and marked the Slovakian team's first appearance in the Olympics. The schedule makers were not kind in selecting Slovakia's debut opponent. Sweden also won today, 3-0 over Switzerland, but I wasn't very impressed. It looks like the US won't have to worry about Sweden upsetting them this time, the finals are almost certainly going to be Canada vs. USA again. Canada is a two time defending champion in the event.

Edit: I agree. At least some changes have been made to better ensure the safety of participants.

19. hiddennovelist

I made it home from work in time to see the men's short track semi-finals. :) Beautiful.

We're watching the luge now...glad to hear they made the changes, but how sad for the family, friends, and teammates of the competitor from Georgia who died. I don't know if I would be able to compete after something like that happened. :(

20. Agreen

Ugh... Jennifer Heil just edged out for gold. We're cursed. At least we'll have two chances in hockey.

21. hiddennovelist

Apolo won silver! Man, that was an intense race...I don't think I've literally been that on the edge of my seat over a sporting event in a long time...

Sorry about Heil, Agreen. :(

22. Agreen

Both runs were perfect, Kearney was just a bit faster. It's a bit discouraging because it means at least another day of 'Canada has never won gold at home before.' I'd really hoped Heil would be the first to do it. Knowing our media, it's only going to put more pressure on the rest of the Canadian athletes.

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Patience, Grasshopper! The games have only begun.

24. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Thought the games last night were all incredible. I love watching moguls --but I love speed skating more. I'm so happy for Dutch competitor Sven Kramer (who won individual gold in the 5000m); he really deserved it, and I've been rooting for him for a long time. Too bad about the American Shani Davis (who is ranked as #1, Kramer as #2); he did not look like Olympic matieral yesterday.

And what a great men's short-track! I was so worried Korea was going to sweep it. For America, it was a miracle. Glad Ohno made Olympic history. :) (Now if only he'd shave that goatee...)

The real competition starts tonight though, with pairs figure skating. :love:

25. Rei

Yikes. Sounds like what happened with Italy in the last Olympics.