1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Books in a series changing POV

Discussion in 'Point of View, and Voice' started by GuardianWynn, Nov 13, 2022.

So, I am working really hard on editing book 1 right now to a story idea. And I made sure to stay in just 1 POV the entire book.

Which was reasonable because book 1 was about a main girl finding a team. So it was very much her assembling them while not dying.

But book 2 was gonna explore there relationships more closely and I realized that for some of these ideas to work. They can't all be there and I can't have that main girl always there.

Basically it's a five man band which benefits from different chunks of them working in groups

So shifting the pov between them as needed seems better

But I am worried I might alienate a reader who preferred just one POV.

Thoughts?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I wouldn't sweat it. Anything you do will alienate readers. And if enough people buy the first book to make pissing somebody off a possibility, well, that's a good problem.

GuardianWynn and Steerpike like this.
  3. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Changing POVs isn't as bad as you seem to think. It needs to be done at scene or chapter breaks though. Depending on your story. You might write the same scene again from a different pov, highlighting the differences in each characters world view.

4. Lawless

Lawless Active Member

As long as the story is interesting, I don't think a different POV would alienate readers.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  5. Det Del Dragons

Det Del Dragons Member

If you do it well, you can do anything. I don't know of many books that switch POVs in the following books of the series, but one really good example I can think of is Harry Potter. Super popular series, and all of the sudden in book 6 the first chapter doesn't even have Harry. It's 3rd person from the perspective of the muggle prime minister. It's only one chapter in that book, but it works really well and is probably my favorite chapter in the series. So you can totally introduce new perspectives later on in your series if you want to. As long as there is a purpose to it I think you can make it work.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  6. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

For authors changing POVs effectively take a look at Harry Turtledove.
    How few remain
    The Great war series
    American Empire series
    And Settling accounts series
    All follow multiple PO V characters, with their own story arcs, and their stories all weave together to show broader events, from a wide verity of POVs.

GuardianWynn likes this.