Tags:
  1. xMissEnvyx

xMissEnvyx New Member

Music while you write

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by xMissEnvyx, Jul 21, 2008.

I was listening to Death Cab for Cutie (that's a band) as I was writing a short story and decided to ask the question.

Does anyone else have certain bands or songs they listen to while writing? I find myself listening to almost the same 3 bands while writing and even when I hear songs by them outside of my "writing zone" it puts me right back in.

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I like to listen ot Regina Specktor whilst writing, but I get distracted as I like to sing along, so I usually like just some boundy, dancey toons that have little or no words so I don't get distracted.

3. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

I listen to various music. Sometimes a certain song inspires me to write something, and then I listen to that while writing. Otherwise it varies, I don't have any special writing music.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, I like music while I write, but it must be instrumental music, no words. If it has words, they must be in a language I do not understand. Bit of the ADD, and all that. :D

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I find music too distracting when I'm writing. I'm too likely to sing along, even if I'm only "singing in my head".

On the other hand, television is less distracting to me than silence.

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I've discovered I can't "write" while I play the guitar...LOL.

By the same token, I can't listen to music while I write because I hear music analytically. I hear every triplet or power lick and think about how to play them on my guitar. Since I'm not a particularly talented person, such distractions are not allowed...that includes my wife, household chores or paying bills. But, my biggest problem while writing is Cheetos...I can polish off a bag of those crunchy tidbits in less than one chapter! Ouch, I gotta loosen the belt...again.

7. Crimson Threnody

Crimson Threnody New Member

Agreed. Though, mix in some soft new age with the instrumental and I could be all set!

8. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

someplace that isn't actually a place but actually
    Sometime I listen to Mindless Self Indulgence. I'm able to tune out words when I write, and just enjoy the background noise.

9. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

I listen to Death Cab, or other alternative bands when I write; it actually helps me get focused.

And Cheetos can't be near me either. I get Cheeto fingers and it gets all over my shiny, white MacBook keyboard. Such a mess, and I'll end up spending the time I allotted for writing to cleaning it. Same goes for Doritos.

10. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Breaking Benjamin. I find that their songs are full of emotions I like to write to.

11. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I can listen to music while writing, though I've started doing so in silence recently. However, it has to be a song I already know. Else, I may be tempted to find more music by the artist. Usually, I sing along with the words, but it's not distracting enough that I won't finish my work.

While doing homework, however, it is almost a necessity that I'm listening to music. It also helps to have doors open, otherwise I often feel the need to walk around. I learned that thanks to my dorm room.

12. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

For some reason, Metallica helps the quality of what I write for my current project. Lately, though, I've been listening to a lot more instrumental stuff; Joe Satriai, Eric Johnson, Neil Zaza, etc. Music always boosts my creativity. As for what kind of music, that depends on the mood I'm in.

13. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

I find myself listening to Evanescence when I'm writing or drawing. It's very relaxing to me, and helps set the mood for most of my short stories.

By the way, I LOVE the song "I will possess your heart". Nice choice. :-D

14. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

The first time that part, I felt it needed to be my new signature. Seemed to fit with the site, too.

15. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

I find Maroon 5 helps me write......

16. Pix

Pix New Member

Within the unlimited potential of my own mind
    It all depends on what I am writing. With my current work I love listening to The Spill Canvas.

17. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I was stuck writing a small piece early on and when I get stuck I listened to some music. It must have worked because while listening to it I got hooked with an idea and waalaa. I guess it depends what I’m writing, being mainly fantasy Nightwish worked well being Neo-Classical and the likes (Opeth works for me too). <Wish I had an Angel> is the one I pretty much only listen to though.

Bit off subject, but what I cannot have on when writing is the television. Distracts me so bad (audio rather then what’s actually on).

18. xMissEnvyx

xMissEnvyx New Member

Wow, i didn't know so many people listen to music. It's strange to hear how some of you can't listen to music with words because it's distracting. I'm only like that with the tv on (like some of you said also).

The spill canvas and Evanescence are two great bands i listen to also while writing. Strange how you find some things in common with people :)

And the Cheeto's thing, I'm just like that with cookies!

19. spiritwriter

spiritwriter New Member

I love listening to soundtrack music from really good movies, it makes me visualize what I am writing as a movie sorta thing, makes it easier to see things in my mind. But I also listen to a lot of new age while writing :D

haha lmao about the cheetos!!

20. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I actually can't write without music. It helps put me into a creative zone. What I listen to usually depends on what I'm writing. If it's something lighthearted and fluffy, I'll listen to some band like Eisley or Stars. If it's something brooding, I'll usually choose music with a darker tone. I have also found that listening to a band like Nightwish is enjoyable and not distracting.

21. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Music distracts me when I'm writing, so I prefer the hum of a loud fan in the background instead. Can I count that as my music? :D

22. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Wow. You remind me so much of a friend of mine, it's weird. She's obsessed with sound tracks, new age, and black coffee. Lol.

23. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand New Member

I like listening to Spocks Beard or Blackfield while writing. (they're bands)

24. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

I listen to Death Cab for Cutie, Ima Robot, and Amy Winehouse when I write :D

25. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I like arabian style music when I write i also like bands like 3 doors down, breaking benjamin, evanessence, flyleaf, nickle back... I think i see a them here. Actually eminem is cool along with some R&B but it just depends. I find, for me, that the tone of the music helps me set the tone of the story and since my stories are fairly action packed that is what i listen to