1. fjm3eyes

fjm3eyes Member

Self Pubishing

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by fjm3eyes, Apr 6, 2018.

I have a story I'm working on. As to self-publishing, I like this idea very much: starting my own company to publish my work. I am also considering PDF. I'd to know what any of you think about publishing in PDF
    form.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Would you JUST do PDF? Distribution would probably be an issue. Most self-publishers depend on Amazon pretty heavily, so that'd mean using the Kindle format...

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Where would you put it? As far as I know, you can't offer PDFs for sale on any of the major book retail websites.

Even if you found somewhere to sell it, I don't think many people would buy a PDF, or even download it for free. It's VERY hard on the eyes to read long stretches of text on a screen, hence why readers overwhelming buy paper books or have an eReader.

You can self-publish in other formats for free, although you can still expect to sell only in the double digits. Generally 20 or fewer copies.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Agree with the above, and point out that it’s easy to make your book available in PDF and other formats, so restricting to one doesn’t make much sense.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Or you can market yourself properly and sell more than that .. its like saying that as a trad author you can expect to earn less than minimum wage (because that's what the average tells us)... if we took the stats at face value no one would ever publish anything.

Steerpike likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That point aside - if you only publish in PDF you are limiting yourself to sales from your own website only. It makes far more sense to publish in mobi and epub and have your book on amazon, kobo, B&N, apple etc ... you can output the files from scrivener , or you can use a service like draft to digital - which is free at point of use but takes 15% of the net royalty

7. fjm3eyes

fjm3eyes Member

I have stories in PDF Adobe Reader. I feel good about this, so good that I feel my present story will work out there just fine. I'm not saying I'll do just PDF, though. I was publisher/editor of my own small circulation magazine for a time,, so I can try another go at that, most likely online. For the publication of only my stories.

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah. I sold a lot more than that and didn’t even do a great deal of marketing. Those kinds of stats are worthless because they take self-publishing as a monolith and don’t account for differences in quality of the work, cover, marketing, and the like, which is VAST in self-publishing.

9. fjm3eyes

fjm3eyes Member

I would, more than anywhere else, I think, place my PDF in Acrobat (Adobe) Reader.
    Distribution would be among family and friends. Other marketing would possibly be on the Web.
    I'm not concerned with how much money I make, or how many copies I sell , with this. I Am concerned with what I consider to be the proper place for it.

10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think if you're not concerned with wide distribution, there's no problem with PDF. If it's what you're comfortable with, go for it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  11. Dermot Titus

Dermot Titus Banned

PDF kind of makes sense as a starting point, with the possibility of other options later on should you ever change your mind.

It's good to see someone pacing themselves rather than taking on all possible options head-on in the shortest time possible.

I imagine Windows, IOS and Android tablets all have PDF display functionality, while most dedicated e-readers may require specific formats. But that's something you may want to consider further down the line.

Of course, should you ever decide to go down another route (KDP, Smashwords, Kobo, etc) there's nothing stopping you hosting a free PDF sample on your site, something sensible like 5% - 25% of the story so visitors can see if they like it before committing to a full purchase.

12. big soft moose

Not really - unless you are just distributing to friends and family as the OP is (which is hardly publishing in any meaningful sense of the world) its the worst possible starting point because it is incompatible with all the major market places.

13. Ksenia Tomasheva

Ksenia Tomasheva Member

Why not starting with epub? You can export your book in this format from gdocs with just one click. And it keeps you doc's formatting and chapters, etc.
    Also, there is a bunch of editor software (some free as well) that allows to convert to other popular formats (mobi, fb2). I use Calibre, for example. It's not very user-friendly, but does the job well.

14. Dermot Titus

Dermot Titus Banned

Of course. I forgot I was on the internet where my opinion doesn't matter. What I should have said was:

There, now everyone can rest easy knowing I have given the only correct advice.

15. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

It'd work fine if you're planning on rolling your own everywhere - e.g. driving your own traffic to a sales page and having people pay you through PayPal or similar. You don't get a pre-existing marketplace's inbuilt credibility or traffic (though God knows you won't see much of that if you're not pushing it yourself anyhow) but you also won't be paying them 30%.

That said...

Dude, chill. Accusing Moose of all people of being a trad-pub fanboy shows you've clearly not been around here a lot.

16. big soft moose

Interesting attitude - your opinion matters just as much (but no more) than anyone elses, you feel that PDFs are the one true way, I feel they are the worst possible option apart from paper print runs (not PoD)

Everyone else can make up their minds on the information presented

(also I don't know where you get the self publishing is insane bit ... I'm self published. What is a bit nuts is picking a medium no one much sells and reading devices can't easily access. - and also thinking that sending your work to mummy and uncle bob really qualifies as any kind of publishing)

There is a difference between your opinion not mattering, and everyone having to accept you (or I or anyone) are completely right without challenge

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  17. big soft moose

Yeah that ... readable by most ereaders and reader apps except kindle...

Frankly I'd do it that way even if i was just sharing it with mummy and uncle bob because its a lot easier for them to download it to the reader of their choice (you can set it to free on say kobo for a limited period)

18. Ksenia Tomasheva

Ksenia Tomasheva Member

I'm still waiting for Amazon to process my tax form (the one saying that I'm not the USA tax resident), so didn't look closer into formats they require. Google books wants epub. But for my mom who uses kindle I converted everything to fb2 and it worked well.

19. big soft moose

Odd that should be near instantaneous - did you do the tax interview thing on the upload page rather than just sending them a W8-BEN ?

That aside they require mobi - but can convert other files themselves in their upload process (I didn't as that sometimes buggers up the text formatting)

20. Ksenia Tomasheva

Ksenia Tomasheva Member

Hmmm.. I filled it, but then It said I needed to print it out, sign and send by mail. I did so a moth ago, and since then they are still processing it. I'll take a look if there is an option to redo it online. Frankly speaking, I was puzzled that at modern days I was even offered to send a paper form :)) thank for your prompt!

21. Dermot Titus

Dermot Titus Banned

When did I say PDFs are the one true way? I believe what I said was:

I get the feeling you stopped reading after the first five words.

22. big soft moose

That'd be when you started throwing all your teddies out of your cot because i suggested it wasnt.

That aside PDFs make no kind of sense as a starting point for publishing (unless you are uploading them for PoD services) if you want to have them on your own little corner of the internet to share with mummy feel free .... but that's not what self publishing looks like IMO

23. big soft moose

There ought to be an option to do the whole thing on line

It shouldn't be necessary to print anything out so long as you tick the box to allow e signature

helpful guide here

http://www.myebook.co.za/mastering-the-amazon-kdp-tax-interview-everything-you-need-to-know

One point is it can get more complicated if your country doesn't have a tax treaty with the USA. If you're a Portuguese national that's no problem because the EU does. However if you are a national of an eastern bloc state (no offense just going by your name) just resident in portugal it can become more taxing (no pun intended). The IRS have a full list of countries with tax treaties and what withholding rate if any is applied on their website.

In essence if your country doesn't have a tax treaty worse case the IRS will retain 30% of royalty payments, and you'll still be liable for tax in your country of residence/ nationality too .... in these cases its worth consulting an accountant

24. Ksenia Tomasheva

Ksenia Tomasheva Member

Oh, thanks a lot! I have no idea why I overlooked this option for the first time... It worked!

25. Dermot Titus

Dermot Titus Banned

I'm beginning to sense some hostility. I'm only trying to support the OP by suggesting they stick to their plan at first before looking into other options for distribution rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

Besides, they have said they won't stick exclusively to PDF, so I suppose my original comment was a little redundant.

If you want to belittle people, that's your deal. I'll untick the little box for this thread so I don't get notified. That way you can have the last word and I won't read it.