1. John Franklin Dandridge

John Franklin Dandridge Member

Editor Discussion Writer's relief?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by John Franklin Dandridge, Oct 14, 2015.

There's a website that specializes in critique, editing, etc., for fees ranging between $300-$500, but you have to submit and have to be selected. It's called Writer'sRelief.com. Anyone familiar with this site?

mg357 likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Yeah, and from what I understand, anything that charges you a fee, you'd best be hauling your butt the other way.

mg357 likes this.
  3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yup. Don't waste your money. The part about being selected is especially weird.

4. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

No, I think paying for something you can get free here is a great idea. (Sarcasm)

mg357 likes this.
  5. John Franklin Dandridge

They have a bunch of different services and claim t8 have done websites for noted authors. Proper editing/ proofing is going to cost no matter what. Besides, I'm having a hard time getting critiques here.

KhalieLa and mg357 like this.
  6. theoriginalmonsterman

Collaboration forum is a good place to go if you're looking for someone to help you out. Unless you've already tried that... I don't know what else to say.

I would be willing to help out, but I wouldn't consider myself too experienced with critiquing. It's really a 50/50 with me. I'd be willing to read over whatever you got, but depending on how long it is a critique might take a while to write out.

7. John Franklin Dandridge

I'm really far enough into the revision stage so that I just need to have some fresh eyes on it. It's likely as tight as I'm going to get it, so I basically I just need to know if it's an enjoyable read or not. And the final chapter goes into a weird place, and though I've been told it works, I really want to get another few opinions. Thanks for offering a read/critique. I'd be more than happy to do the same if you have something up.

Here's the first chapter:

[WIP deleted]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  8. theoriginalmonsterman

Mind if I print it out? It's easier for me to read it if it's printed out. This will also allow me to use a pencil to mark in possible edits. I'll make sure to include a copyright with your name... actually if you could go ahead and add one that would help out a lot. Just put:

©John Franklin Dandridge 2015

That will make it, so no one can steal it for 3 years. Obviously it won't take me three years to read it.

I doubt it's that important to include the copyright, but there's always a small risk that it could fall into the wrong hands. The copyright will ensure it's safe.

9. John Franklin Dandridge

Sure thing. I'll just repaste with it at the end.

[WIP deleted]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  10. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I think you're struggling to get critiques because your piece is so long. It takes a long time to read 7,000-ish words and consider them carefully. If you posted shorter pieces - aiming for around 1,200 - you would get a lot more feedback. If you're that far into revision you really need a beta reader rather than odd critiques here and there.

Alternatively you could post in collaboration and offer to swap with someone who has a piece of similar length that needs a fresh pair of eyes.

If you have the money, there are loads of editors out there where you won't have to be 'selected' and who usually charge by the word. They will offer services ranging from a basic critique to a line editing, for varying fees. This place you've found seems to have a very odd set-up and I would be wary that they don't appear to see paying customers as clients - more like the editors are doing them a favour by deigning to take money for their services.

Mckk and Shadowfax like this.