1. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

Audio Making audio book before printed copy - Pros vs Cons

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Davidwriter, Mar 15, 2013.

Hello everyone,

I am new here but have a question and hope someone can kindly answer.

If you have a book published and then make an audio of that book.

Now, because your publisher may take a year or so to publish your second book, would it make sense
    to add a NEW audio which would begin where the printed book left off?

I am considering adding a new audio book to the one already recorded.

Offering a 'Bonus' for customers.

My reasoning for wanting to add to the audio is because of having to wait so long for the publisher
    to get my new book ready and printed.

I own the full rights with my book and the contract and the principles of this company, agree
    I can make audio books with my title as I own them.

Have other writers made audio books before the printed copies were published?

I also understand, some may want to read the second book as opposed to listen to it.

There are circumstances that favor both... I would really like to hear others experiences.

Thank you,

Davidwriter

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can't imagine your publisher would be happy with you releasing an audio book of the book they're publishing, before they can release the hard copy... you need to consult an attorney and discuss this with your publisher, not go by what anyone here might advise...

3. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

Hello Mammamaia,

The book has been published by the publisher.

I have the exclusive rights to the audio books, that's in the contract and I have spoken with them regarding that part.

The next or second book is NOT published nor does the publisher have rights to it.

In my agreement, I can do with the audio books what I choose. I wanted to hear experiences from those who recorded
    audio books before taking a book to get published.

Thank you for your reply,

Davidwriter

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Do you plan to publish the 2nd book? Read your first book contract, see what it says about rights to be the sole and/or first publisher.

Which of the formats is selling better?

I would think you should wait for the second book to be published, but I claim no expertise here.

5. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

Hello GingerCoffee,

I just got off the phone with my publisher...

I have complete rights with audio etc.

If I want to and the first book sells well, They will PRINT the second book but in the meantime, I have full
    authority to do as I wish with audio, electronic of any kind.

When I signed with them and they are a top 10 traditional publisher, I stipulated this clause in the agreement
    for such a purpose to arise.

Thank you for your response...

Davidwriter

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

If you have the rights, you're free to do what you wish.

I've had two novels published. The first came out in print and ebook versions first, followed by an audiobook version. The second is available via print and ebook, with the audiobook in production.

At least with my experience, the ebooks have sold the best, with print, followed by the audiobook version, although the royalties I earn are generally higher with the audio vs. the print or ebook.

Are you happy with your publisher? If your publisher feels undercut by having the 2nd novel out in audio before it's released in print/ebook, might that influence whether they decide to published the second book? In publishing, a year is not a long time. A publishing career can last a long time, and just because a writer has the rights to do something, doesn't mean that it is a wise thing to do. If they are a top ten publisher (what publisher is it?) then their reach (marketing and distribution) would be far greater than is likely via self publishing (via ebook, print and even audio).

That's my two cents, based on the available information.

7. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

TWErvin2,

I agree with much of what you said.

First, my publisher and I converse fairly often. I have an open relationship and tell them what my plans are. I certainly want
    to continue our relationship.

Recently, I told them if my audios do well, I would be happy to have them publish my second book and they were fine with that.

Here is the main reason why I believe what route I am taking is best for me.

The publisher sent various audio samples of my story and everyone I had listen to the samples, said they were 'terrible.'

In addition, if I wanted to buy 'my audios' from the publisher, it would have cost me 7 times the cost I am paying to make them now! Also, if I wanted them to market my audios even though I made them, I would have to buy them from the publisher! How could that make any sense?

The retail price they would have sold them for was DOUBLE what I will be charging! They mentioned the art work as one big expense but obviously, all the other departments in the publishing company would have to get a piece of the pie.

My final belief is they are NOT so much into audio books as their bigger more important, printing books.

It helps that I have a marketing background.

I am most happy with the publisher and they even acknowledged I could do better with the audio books using my ideas and concepts.

In addition, I am allowed to deal with distributors for my audio books but of course not printed books.

In truth, I contemplated all the pluses and minuses with the final tally, the audios with the voices I had to work with from the publisher, did not go well with my story.

Fortunately, I was able to get a professional voice over artist who did a very nice job.

For various reasons I will not divulge who my publisher is.

Lastly, in talking with other writers in past physical meetings, they expressed their publishers were not as flexible in their dealings
    with them. I never mentioned or thought about audio books at those past meetings. however.

I appreciate your comments and input.

Davidwriter

8. GingerCoffee

I'm confused. Are you saying your first audio book was poorly done and you want to do something else with the second?

I'm an avid audio book reader because I spend a lot of time in traffic. If the reader is boring, it doesn't matter how good the book is, the audio book is unlistenable.

But audio books are almost always very expensive compared to print. And e-books are enticingly inexpensive. It's a better economy for a $3-10 e-book than it is for a $60+ audio book.

Plus with e-books like Kindle you can read the beginning of the book in the comfort of your home before clicking and it's yours. You can't beat that convenience. And you can't sample or flip through an audiobook to see if you want to read it. Sales depends a bit more on reputation of the book.

For me, I get audiobooks from the library where I sometimes do try them based only on the cover blurb. That way when I play them, if the reader sucks, I'm not out any money. Audio books I just pick solely via shelf browsing get returned unread more often than not, sometimes because I can't stand the reader, sometimes because the book disappoints. I'll buy an audiobook if I've heard good things. And I bought the last book in the hunger games because the library copies had a long wait of holds ahead of mine.

If your first book sold well, and people are waiting for the second, some might buy the audio based on that reputation. But if the first audio has a bad rep, be sure to make a big deal of the second one being read by someone else.

9. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

GingerCoffee!

This will try to help solve your confussion.

First of all, my publisher would have sold my audio book at double the printed book cost and that is one reason
    I decided to go my own route, as far the the audio books.

Second, I will be selling my audio books on disc for less than my publisher is selling my printed book!

I hope you understand why I am satisfied doing my own marketing and saving anyone who wanted my audio book
    a lot of money.

The audio book downloads are another story and I basically will have no control over the price.

Thank you for your replying.

Davidwriter

10. GingerCoffee

I was confused with what you meant by
    But now I see.

Forgive my forwardness here, but your publisher sounds like a vanity press. Are you paying for the service? And you also seem to be asking for reassurance about the audio book decision rather than opinion.

What say you?

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sounds to me like a good way to burn bridges with your current publisher. And that's without even knowing whether that will constitute breaking your contract.

12. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

Hi GingerCoffee,

OK, we've established your a fan of Mr O'Reilly.

I wanted the samples because at one time I was going to let them do the audio book. Because I didn't favor the voice over artists
    for MY book, plus I would have no control over the marketing, that's when I made my choice.

I was NOT asking for reassurance as I already decided to pay for my own voice over selection and recording the audio books.

Incidentally, my publisher was NOT charging me for making the audio book. They stood to do well if the sales were there, however.

I was interested in the part about whether or not to wait and have my second book published before making my second audio book. In my case, I know I made the right decision for me. Others may go another direction.

What helped make my call was talking with the publisher. I can assure you they are NOT a 'vanity press' There is no cost for the 'service.'

I would think any honest publisher would want to see you do well. Even if an audio book is not yet published by them, they stand to do very well if the audio book does well, do they not?

I do not think you are being forward and I sincerely appreciate any and all replies, from anyone.

This is a very nice community made up of good decent people. I wish all forums were as beneficial and enjoyable.

Davidwriter

13. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

Cogito,

In case you may not have seen in a previous post, I converse with my publisher and they are not upset at my decision.

I understand that some publishers would take offence to a writer doing what I am but not every publisher is like that.

Ask yourself one question... Why are publishers in business? They want to make money. Are writers in business to NOT make money?

In any business where you have more control over your own products, you have the opportunity to do better than having another
    control them, do you not.

If this world was not so Internet driven, my choice would have leaned towards having the publisher make my audio books. That doesn't mean I would have liked the voice overs but it would have been more expensive to do my own marketing without the Internet.

Thank you for your reply.

Davidwriter

14. GingerCoffee

Sigh, I was trying to be honest and nice at the same time. I'll try to remember not to reply to your posts in the future. And I'm definitely not an O'Reilly fan and I have no clue what you mean by that.

15. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

GingerCoffee, I certainly didn't mean to offend you and I hope you do reply to my posts.

I am glad you are honest for that's the way I always want to be.

The reference to 'What say you' is something Bill O'Reilly says on his TV commentary show.

16. GingerCoffee

A lot more people than O'Reilly say, "What say you?".

For the record, not that my opinion matters, I did take it as an insult. The man's a liar (too many examples to list), a sexual pervert, too rude for my taste (see Youtube for his multiple temper tantrums), and his treatment of Jeremy Glick was worse than despicable.

I accept your clarification that you didn't mean to offend. Neither did I. Seems all is well again here. :)

17. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

Hi GingerCoffee,

I totally agree with you and I never said I was a proponent of Mr O'Reilly... I stopped watching when some of the examples
    you list began.

I realize whenever I mention someone well known for a saying or statement, that I need to be more careful.

Most important, I am glad to see you back corresponding and you know I never meant anything derogatory.

Plus, for the record... Your opinion matters, a lot!

18. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Davidwriter,

You indicated that you hope to sell disks of the audio. My experience is that more and more audiobooks are being sold via a digital download format, and fewer disks are part of the equation--a trend that will likely continue with iPods, cell phones, Kindles, and other devices that are used to play such content. If you're going to self-publish the audiobook, consider going through Audiobook Creation Exchange, or something similar. Doing so will make your work(s) available via Audible.com (part of Amazon), and via Amazon (although if published by yourself vs. your publisher the title may not be linked) and iTunes.

While I don't understand why you believe it would be troublesome to reveal your publisher, if sales are strong through the publisher (print and ebook), one would have to weigh how much the author might make in sales/profits going it alone/self published, vs. how many sales would be made with a top ten publisher's support, and direct linkage with that publisher and book. Audible, for example has something set up where if one purchases the Kindle version, the audiobook version can be purchased at a big discount. Then, the reader can switch between reading and listening, without losing their place--in other words, if they're listening, and stop five paragraphs into chapter 8, and the next time they want to go into the book, but read instead, the ebook opens right to that spot.

For my novel's audiobook version, the voice artist auditioned and I was consulted and okayed before my publisher moved forward with contracts and the audiobook production. I realize that doesn't happen with a lot of publishers, but, if the first reader(s) didn't work for your novel, there are plenty more readers out there. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and major publishers work with a lot of narrators/voice artists. (My publisher isn't near what would be considered the top ten, and many different readers have narrated books released by my publisher). If the voice of the first reader wasn't right for your book, and you have a good relationship with your editor at the publisher (I am figuring you don't have an agent based on the discussion here), is there a reason they could not get another reader/narrator to audition?

19. Davidwriter

Davidwriter New Member

Hello TWErvin,

You make some valid points and I will try to do the same.

My publisher had several other voice over artists but they were not available at the time. In addition, I tried out others on Internet Ads. The problem there was, I didn't want to send my manuscript to a stranger
    that I was not positive I could trust. (My voice over artist is just 20 minutes away).

I am scheduled to have my audio books on Audible and Itunes, Amazon, CD Baby, Blackstone and several others.

I understand about the audio and IPods, cell phones and other electronic devices. I believe strongly in direct marketing and that is one of my methods that my publisher is not going to do. They will get distributors, larger book venues and help set up book signings. The untapped market is what I am interested in. Sort of building, 'brick by brick.'

Also, I will probably be using A Fulfillment Center to ship the audios. I am allowed to sell my books on my own website.

I definitely can NOT SELL my books on Amazon or the Barnes & Nobles, that WOULD be breaking my agreement with the publisher!

All the words I have written in this forum are the same ideas I have spoken with my publisher about and most importantly, received full permission to activate them.

Here is another marketing strategy I will be happy to tell. I am looking for individual stores that cater to things related to my niche. Incidentally, I write for children and Juveniles. I don't know many three year old's that have Ipods, yet. (wouldn't surprise me). If a store sells children's clothes for example, they may be a good target market (On the Internet).

The publisher has way too many authors to divert attention to my style of marketing.

The audio books are certainly not as popular but much more 'personal' for a gift or present. Sometimes I feel we have lost our innocence in a matter of speaking. With the world ever changing to electronic 'this and that' Don't you think someone would be appreciative of an audio disc that you can hold in your hand, play in your car, not to mention giving a birthday gift to a 6 year old?

I guess we have fallen into an abstract world to a degree but there are some who like to see something they can hold rather than just listen to.

I highly doubt they will go out of existence for a good ten years or so. If they do, it's on to the next game.

Davidwriter