1. Lazzamore

Lazzamore Member

Out of ideas, what to do?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lazzamore, Sep 21, 2015.

Not for a lack of interest, or trying, but I just cannot think of what could happen in my black moment short of killing off the love interest (I'm already killing off plenty of characters). What do you guys do to generate ideas? I've considered starting on the rough draft before the outlines done, but I do that a lot and often run aground. Is there a method for forcing ideas out?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Imagine the worst possible thing that could happen to your main character. Then make it happen. :D

If you don't want to kill another person off, how about having the love interest run off with the character's worst enemy?

3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

You could also look to your theme/subplot for dark moment ideas. The dark moment comes about because the MC's approach to problem solving isn't working. The character realizes he's gone as far as he can without changing his approach to life and that's why he's experiencing the dark moment.

Theme/subplot is there to teach the MC something about life, something he's been ignoring that affects him in a big way.

All this also gives the third act a huge dollop of uncertainty because, going into the third act, MC is trying a new approach to life and no one (MC or reader) has 100% faith it's going to work.

Foxe and Lazzamore like this.
  4. hilal

hilal Active Member

Dont know what to do ? Read Story by Robert Mckee.

5. hilal

hilal Active Member

What he said. He's not kidding, look at your fav film and ask your self why do you like it so much.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

... regarding his story goal, and then make it happen. :)

Foxe likes this.