1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I want to grow my hair long. Advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Sep 30, 2008.

For the first time since I was 17 years old I have the opportunity to grow my hair long. I finally have a job where I can look the way I want AND my boyfriend is all for me growing my hair out.

Any suggestions on a successful outcome?

How long does it take to grow out to, oh say, shoulder length? :cool:

2. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Well technically I've always heard that it takes about a month for your hair to grow a half of an inch, so?

Is it going to be all one length, or layered? :p

3. Wreybies

I don't even know what that means! :eek: See? I need help! :D 'Splain me, please.

4. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Haha sorry!
    Here I'll just give an example! :p

Layered:

[​IMG]
    Best one I could find lol.
    Basically it just means more than on layer of hair, different levels? -shrug- xD
    Not all one length?

5. Wreybies

Well, my hair is pretty wavy (depends on the weather) so I don't know. I was kinda just gonna' let it grow and grow until I had something to work with and and then decide, I guess.

I'm afraid of the in-between phase. Not long, not short, won't do anything but go under a hat. What do you do then???

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I believe you mentioned that you have a strong brow ridge you'd like to de-emphasize - am I correct? That may make a differenc in the advice offered. Some idea of the overall shape of your face would probably be a good idea too.

7. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Ugh I hate that stage also.
    I think that depends on the type of hair. I personally love the 'shaggy' length. But you say your hair is pretty wavy, so I don't know lol. Just depends on how crazy it gets. :p
    But seeing as you're a guy, and guys can look good (well girls too) with even in-between lengths I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Unless your hair has a life of its own. ;)

Plus. Hats are always useful.
    I'd just say don't fret about it and see how things turn out.

8. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Yeah I agree, face shape always plays a role in whether or not a hairstyle will look good on you.
    Or if you have a bigger forehead, one length with no bangs isn't so flattering. I know this one personally lol.
    Or vice versa.

But you say your hair is really wavy, so I can't really say what works best for that since my hair is really fine and straight.

9. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Well, the in-between phase can look good, too:

[​IMG]

Just let it grow for a while, and then see a hairstylist who can advise you if your hair would look good with layers or whatever.

10. Wreybies

I love you, Cog. :p Actually, my Neanderthal traits show up on the other side of my head, in the occipital area. I do have a pretty strong forehead, though, so I can see some bangs action or something. I probably would not do a complete sweep back from the hair line, so I think layered is gonna be the way to go.

11. Wreybies

Yup, that's what I want right there!

12. lessa

lessa New Member

I love guys with long hair. I love girls with long hair and I am so jealous of them.
    I grew up when long hair was the fashion and was so out of it since my hair is curly.
    When it grows to shoulder length it is just frizzy and I have to get it cut and thinned out.
    My hair will not grow long. I had a stylist tell me that the shafts of hair are too thick and
    they break when they get too long.
    Also my hair is usually almost shoulder length at the back but with the waves it only shows that length when wet.
    I once let my hair grow for 3 years and it didn't look any longer just a whole lot thicker.
    Don when he had hair had the same problem.
    Grow your hair long if you want long hair. It is totally up to you.
    Will you grow a beard as well?

13. ciavyn

ciavyn New Member

Yeah, go after Marina's photo - he's hot, his hair is great, and if you got the cajones to do it, work it, man! ;)

That is one thing I always find unfair - too many men have gorgeous hair that they can grow long and have look like a shampoo commercial. I grow mine long, and I look like I'm ready for my mug shot!

14. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I cut my hair super short each summer (keep the sand out) and let it grow out again in the winter (keep the warmth in! :p ). Usually take about three months to get a good length and the inbetweeney phase is SO annoying but... the key I found, was in trimming it very regularly. Keeps the hair in good condition and prompts it to keep growing. My hairs wavy so it needs all the help it can get :D Still, my OH had long hair for a year but his was straight, thick and blonde - I was so jealous!!!!

15. Wreybies

Your OH?

16. Cogito

Other half I believe

17. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

It depends on your features and the type of wave in your hair too. I think dark, thick, wavy hair looks much nicer if grown near/just below the chin, but not longer.

For example kunal kapoor style is nice.

unstraightened

I think going to a stylist would be best. I went short (did a bob) for the first time in my life last year and consulted a stylist to see which layering would look good with my features. An honest one will tell you whether or not you should go for it.

18. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Here ya go Wrey...cool beard too!

[​IMG]

19. Wreybies

It's me! :D

20. Cogito

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

21. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Well Wreybies, I have been gorwing my hair from shoulder length to half way down my back for nearly two years now. However, that includes straightening and bleaching it etc etc.

I'd say about half to one year to grow it to your shoulder. :)

22. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I can't give advice on this subject. I've been cutting my hair short for the past five years. Every time I think, "This is the last time. After this I'm going to grow my hair out." Then it gets to about shoulder-length (where I can do absolutely nothing with it), and I get frustrated and cut it off again. It's a vicious cycle.

I used to have the most beautiful long hair, too. I miss it. :(

I heard somewhere (don't know how true it is) that taking prenatal vitamins makes your hair and nails grow faster and healthier. Even if that does work, though, I don't know how good of an idea it would be for a guy...

23. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I've had long hair since high school, when my hair was so curly that I had the Albert-Einstein-white-guy-afro if I let it be too short. I went to a Christian school with a dress code, though, so I had to keep it "above the collar," which I usually spent most of my time sitting at or just below. Nowadays it goes down to past my shoulders, give or take six inches (from when I cut it every year or so).

You say you have curly hair; well, if you're going to be willing to spend time styling and caring for it, you may want something fancy as far as layering and styling. My hair is long mostly because that way I don't have to keep going and getting it cut. Mine is all one length, which makes pulling it back in a ponytail much, much easier, and my morning routine mostly consists of a couple of minutes with a hairbrush and then the application of a hairband.

I will say that you need to have a regular care cycle, especially with curly hair. Tangles are not good times, and curly hair tends to be prone to that sort of thing. When I was a teen and my hair was at its curliest, I used a lot of J&J detangler, which was great stuff. I've also got very dry and wispy hair, so I get a lot of split ends (which I ignore.)

One word of advice: as your hair gets longer, it will get less and less curly, just from its own weight pulling it out. If I were to lop mine off to collar-length again, it would curl up to the top of my neck, but as it is now it's almost straight (just with a tendency to be very flyaway.)

24. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I had to grow my hair quiet a few inches past my shoulders to get my dreads (as you lose length when you ge them) .... wish i had some advice like this at the time, as my hair just went mega curly and annoying was an understatement.

[​IMG]
    By speedyjjj at 2008-09-30
    Great artist, freaky man

25. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

My advice and its my own opinion and I don't want to be mean, but don't grow your hair long.