1. SteffieR1

SteffieR1 New Member

names for a school for teenagers with superpowers - ideas needed please

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by SteffieR1, Jan 27, 2012.

i have a ruff idea of how i want my story nd have a few names for some characters just unsure of the name at the school at the minuite. the name needed is for a superhero high school. not going down the 'harry potter' or 'twilight' route my story is going to be about the new girl at school making enemies with the popular girl in the year and also falling in love with her older brother that she doesnt know is the brother to her 'enemy' at the school.

please give me feedback and let me know your thoughts and any ideas you have that may help me.

2. joanna

joanna Active Member

It's 'rough idea.'

Name it Steffie R. Or name it Flying Pigs. Or name it School of the Magic Unicorn.

It doesn't really matter what you name it. It won't be of particular importance to the reader.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You are the writer. Coming up with names is among the least challenging decisions you will make as a writer.

4. AJ Winters

AJ Winters New Member

Is this school known to the public? Or can it not be known to the non-powerful world?

Also, where is the school set? I think this setting would make a difference to the name... but maybe that's just me. :p

If it's supposed to be a secret, maybe you could give it a really, boring, hackneyed name so that no unwanted attention would be brought to it, e.g. "Bridgewater High" or "Morrison High".

If it's known to the public, I think it would depend on the public's view of the teenagers and their powers - for example, though it was supposed to be secret, the school in X-Men was called 'Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters' in order to give a positive view of the school and not something like 'School for mutants and Freaks'.

Maybe it could be named after the founder of the school (whoever that may be) or perhaps the school takes pride in being different/superpowerful. 'School for Freaks', 'SuperSchool' (sooooo childish, I know, but that could be part of the humour) or 'Academy Uncanny'.

I dunno. All I can think of is 'Sky High! Sky High!' (my daughter has made me watch that show so many times, it's not funny).

Good luck! :)

5. MrBlack

MrBlack New Member

I googled 'list of high schools' and 'list of super powers'.
    I used these as starting point for brainstorming ideas.
    Some crazy names I came up with:

The Kapoww Academy
    The Stan Lee Institute For Extraordinary & Gifted Learning
    The Mind, Power, Wings & Strength Project
    Faster, Higher, Stronger Academy
    The Save The World Institute For Learning
    New York School For Phenomenal Arts & Talents (substitute relevant place name)

6. Dragon Boy

Dragon Boy New Member

Best name ever. I really hope Kanye West is a teacher at this academy.