1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Is "Dorgob" a lousy name for a villain?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Link the Writer, Jul 26, 2011.

So I'm just playing around in Oblivion, trying to make a scary, evil-looking character and wanted to give him a name. What did I call this guy? This guy who looks positively terrifying?

Dark Lord Dorgob.

While I was chuckling at the name, it got me thinking: What makes a good name for a villain? Does it depend on what the story is about? What do you think when you see this name "Dorgob"?

Is it also possible to take an otherwise silly name like "Dorgob" amd realistically make it a name that strikes fear into the hearts of the characters through the bearer of that name's actions?

Thoughts? :D

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I love it. It sounds like a giant spider's name to me, but a villain works too ;)

3. Link the Writer

I agree. I adore that name Dorgob.

Though I picture him as a tall, pale, gaunt man with jet-black cropped hair. But I bet he could morph into a hairy, fast spider easy.

4. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

All I think is doorknob :)

I think a villain needs a scary name. I mean, if a villain is a mighty and powerful warlock named Melvin... I don't think I could bring myself to be scared of him. Names like Thor are better. Got more of an umph (dunno how to spell umph) to it.

5. Link the Writer

Yeah.

I do adore the name, but, like you said, it doesn't seem scary.

Then again, I read a webcomic where an evil lich/warlock is named "Richard". Not exactly a terrifying name, but that's what the webcomic artists called him. But...he's also fighting for the good guys (in a twisted sort of way), so...yah. :/

BUT! What if I rearranged the lettering?

"Dorgob" into...

"Bogdor"? "Rogbod"? "Robdog"? "Dorgo"? "Bordog"? "Dogbor"?

Hmmm...Dorgo sounds nice, but I can't help but think I've seen that name before...

6. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I might not be so much better. My villain's name is Desmond.

A geek I met in college totally ruined that name for me, because he's all I can picture when I hear it. But it also suits my villain, so..

7. Link the Writer

True.

If it suits the villain, then it suits them.

Dorgob/Dorgo...The latter sounds more fantasy-ish than the former, though.

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Dorgo sounds like dork when you say it out loud, though. :p

9. Link the Writer

lol.

Plus, it sounds like a name I've heard somewhere before, but can't place it.

"Dorgob", at least, I know I created it, it suits my villain and it suits me. It reminds me of a villain who doesn't take his role seriously. He just does what he does because it's fun. He's not even a "Dark Lord" in every sense of the word. It's just what he calls himself to spicen up his name. He is no Voldemort.

You could say that Dorgob is an extreme anti-hero. He'll "help", but he'll go about doing it his way. Hang the rules!

10. MRD

MRD New Member

Dorgob as a "Dark Lord" doesn't sound particularly scary to me, but as a "Warlord" it sounds menacing.

Warlord Dorgob, master of the north, with his band of blood-thirsty barbarian berserkers...

Then again, it's more the characters actions (and how other characters react to them) that make them scary for me.

11. Link the Writer

Good idea. "Warlord Dorgob", capable of all sorts of black magic...

PERFECT!!

12. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

In a word, yes.

It doesn't exactly scream malice and depravity. A name can depict certain characteristics all on its own. This doesn't sound particularly villainous. I envisage a dimwitted orc when I read this name. It could be just me.

Now of course the character's actions do a far better job at portraying characteristics than the sound of a name. So Dorgob could be a quirky name for a truly malicious villain, and that's not necessarily a bad thing....

13. Jonp

Jonp New Member

To me it sounds a little cartoon supervillainish. That, and I tried reading it backwards because it seemed like it could be something backwards. It's not.

14. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Maybe you heard it in A Game of Thrones? Kahl Drogo came to mind while reading your post :p

15. JSLCampbell

JSLCampbell New Member

Doesn't feel threatening to me. Has all the malice of being called "Donald" or "Barney" :L But I really like the name. Guess that's just my two cents though.

16. Link the Writer

I agree. It could very well be the name of a heroic goblin boy.

17. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

I agree that Dorgob's an awesome name but not exactly terrifying--the kind of name i'd give to a parody villain or an over the top kind of charicature villain.

BUT i can see a silly name becoming terrifying if you made him so disturbing a villain that his name becomes creepy for it's silliness, know what I mean?

18. Link the Writer

The problem I have with making up fantasy names is how close it may sound to another fantasy name from a fantasy title already in existance.

As Daydream said, the name "Dorgob" kinda resembles "Drogo" if you remove the 'b'.

Perhaps it doesn't matter. I mean, look at Goku and Roku (from DBZ and Avatar respectivly). It's essentially the same spelling and pronunciation, just a different first letter. What makes the difference is that Goku and Roku are two totally different characters with totally different mindsets.

19. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Personally, Dorgob isn't scary for me, but I also haven't read anything about him to have a different opinion. I had pictured him as an uncouth, obese man with horrible hygiene with a name like Dorgob. Goblin boy fits too I guess.

I say, if you like the name, and you feel it fits the character's persona, then go with it, peoples' opinions be damned. It's you who's writing it, not anyone else, anyway. And it seems you're already attached to the name, so... Run with it :)

My Villain's name is Chale, which supposedly means 'strong and manly', though in my story he is actually on the short side and has a wiry build. And he isn't particularly physically strong, but is very good at manipulations and deception, therefore making him a strong character in my story...

So maybe your villain having a name like Dorgob isn't so bad, and will become scary to the reader once he's shown just how villainous he is/can be...

I'm taking the fence on this one. I want to find out how much of a villain this Dorgob is. :D I'd like to read some of your stuff whenever/ifever you want a second opinion!

20. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Maybe 'Doregob' (like 'gore') or 'Dorgrab' (like 'grab') or something weird like 'Drgob' or 'Dorgb' would make it less like doorknob? I must confess this word came instantly to my mind, also, when I saw it.

21. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Lol. Goregob does sound cool. In terms of creating a character with no back story, you probably should go with a scary name unless you wanted it to be humorous. But if you have a story, your villains name could be Tina or Pink Cotton. If you make her terrifying, people will become terrified of that name because of the character, not the other way around.

22. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Heh, that was my first thought too. Dark Lord Doorknob. Yeah, might be intimidating once you stop laughing. :p

Agree, some names are just more "badass" than others. Imagine if Yoda's real name was Melvin? No offense to all you Melvin's out there, but you will never be taken seriously. :p A scary villain needs to be scary in every way, including the name. In my opinion, there are two things that makes a villain scary. One is him being able to threaten people into blind obedience. His minions will gladly charge into combat knowing they will die, simply becauase they know disobeying their master will be worse than death. The second is giving him a reputation and name that strike fear into people when mentioned. Melvin doesn't quite do that, even if Melvin was the Toxic Avenger's (google it, kids) real name. But whatever reputation Toxic Avenger gave to the name, Bill & Ted ruined again by calling wedgies Melvins. Emperor Wedgie? Not the most intimidating villain, perhaps. :p

(sorry, I'm a bit drunk right now, so I'll log off and watch TV instead. Hope all this made sense.) :p

23. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

It an okay name, though I think it sounds a bit henchman. Kinda like: "I'll teach the princess to talk back to me! Dorgob, fetch the bore worms!" It's not something I would name a major "evil overlord" type bad guy.

Me, I like names that don't try too hard to be evil but still works for an evil character. Take "Sauron", for example. Everyone associates that name with Ultimate Evil, but if you just listen to the sound of it, it doesn't sound more villainous then, say, "Elrond." In fact, it kinda has a pleasant ring to it. When playing Dragon Age, I named the dog Sauron.

Ultimately, if you do a really good job, the villain will make the name seem evil. So rather then trying to deliberatelly make an evil-sounding name (probably ending up with something like "Voldemort") I think it's a far better idea to just focus on a name that has a good sound.

24. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

The trouble I have with that is that it sounds like "Door gob", and "gob" is (British?) slang for "mouth" (from Irish Gaelic). So to me it sounds more like somebody with a big mouth than a villain. Fill in your own, family friendly, version of "all x and no y."