1. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

Gender Guesser

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by DoctorDoom, Apr 6, 2016.

I don't know if this is already on here but I found this: http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.php

I'm not going to say whether or not mine was right as I think gender is a load of horse pucky in the first place but it's interesting nonetheless.

[edited by Wreybies]

And this is what it said I was:
    Genre: Informal
    Female = 4172
    Male = 4282
    Difference = 110; 50.65%
    Verdict: Weak MALE

Weak emphasis could indicate European.

Or:

Genre: Formal
    Female = 2290
    Male = 2489
    Difference = 199; 52.08%

Well, for one thing I'm half 'murican and half Canadian, and because I wrote this from the perspective of a female character (all be it a very disturbed one) I was curious how it determined gender since it wasn't simply a predominance of male or female pronouns. Turns out men are statistically more likely to use specifiers which I do use a lot in my comedic writing, but not so much in my creepy writing. Why? Because brevity makes it more disturbing when the POV is the darkness as the darkness wouldn't stray into purple prose nor find any of it horrifying. Exciting sure, but not horrifying. Conversely, females are more likely to use more pronouns, which can be seen in books like the Hunger Games series. I personally don't use a lot of them, but that's more a stylistic choice as I find them repetitive and annoying.

Mostly, I'm curious as to where they took their samples for the research from. Was it college students, facebook, or actual literature? Apparently, it thinks Dickens is female, and a number of great British writers too, so it can't simply be specifiers and pronouns.

Anyway, because it doesn't say on the website how they got their algorithm and what samples they used, I'm curious what results other writers get. Please include the writing sample to go along with the results so we can hypothesize about it's methods.

Boger likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

:stop:
    I must insist that members not include the content they use for discussion in this area of the forum. Such content is only appropriate in the Workshop area for the purpose of critique and discussion.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I did this a while ago, and was VERY pleased with the result. Why? Because the snippets I included that were written from the POV of my male characters came across as definitely male. The snippets from the female POV characters came across as female. So I must be doing something right. :)

Catrin Lewis, GingerCoffee and terobi like this.
  4. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

Should I move this there then?

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No. The Workshop does not function in a way that allows for such a thread. It's perfectly fine for it to stay here. It just cannot include WIP text.

6. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I pulled a couple of pages from the middle of my manuscript and gave it a try. This is what I got.
    Total words: 701

Female = 708
    Male = 1717
    Difference = 1009; 70.8%
    Verdict: MALE

Female = 899
    Male = 964
    Difference = 65; 51.74%

I am an American female writing from the POV of a pregnant woman, so I'm going to bet this isn't all that accurate.

ETA: The section I posted involved picking blackberries as well as admiring the marigolds and calendula. So I didn't even have her doing "manly" things.

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Mine switches depending on what section of my writing I give it to analyze. I've tried this before and usually if my writing is bare bones I get male. If it's a little more complicated I get female but it's never significantly female. The difference is negligible so it comes out 'weak' female. Which is what tomboy? - :rolleyes:

GingerCoffee and KhalieLa like this.
  8. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

So I tried a section where she's hunting and got this. So she's male when admiring the flowers and weak female when killing things.
    Total words: 1645

Female = 1126
    Male = 4128
    Difference = 3002; 78.56%

Female = 2346
    Male = 2051
    Difference = -295; 46.64%
    Verdict: Weak FEMALE

Then I started playing around:
    Passage involving morning sickness = Weak Male
    Passage involving sex = Weak Male
    Getting Stoned = Weak Male, Weak Female

GingerCoffee likes this.
  9. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

Well, since I apparently can't include the text I analyzed, it was a scene in which the anti-villain in my novel does some religious rituals, explains why she's atheistic, explains why she has to pretend to be a religious leader to avoid being murdered by her mother, the cult dictator, (who has a position in the religion similar to what Osama Bin Laden had in Islam) talks to the guy who does the Azulian (what their species is called) sacrifices, explains why he's a dirt bag and kills him, before stating that she's going to kill everyone like him (including her mother) for the good of the people.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm reluctant to post any of my WIP on their website**, but I tried my two short stories that won the contest here.

Where the Wild Things Could Be:
    Female = 389
    Male = 283
    Difference = -106; 42.11%

Same story different section:
    Female = 502
    Male = 805
    Difference = 303; 61.59%

Stone Games:
    Female = 282
    Male = 266
    Difference = -16; 48.54%

Then I tried the dialogue heavy middle:
    Female = 655
    Male = 787
    Difference = 132; 54.57%

And the rather grisly ending:
    Female = 304
    Male = 637
    Difference = 333; 67.69%

I've done my forum posts before. I get consistent results like this one I got now from a post in the debate room:
    Female = 387
    Male = 921
    Difference = 534; 70.41%

I wished they'd develop the tool further using a larger data base. If I recall this one was criticized for the works they selected to include, which is why they have that "weak male/female if European" caveat.

Edited to add, for those that don't know me, I'm female and if I think about it, Tomboy probably applies. I'm not much of a make-up, clothes, and girlie things gal.;)

**Not that I don't trust the site but the closer I get to my finished work the less inclined I am to share any of it online anywhere except in emails and PMs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  11. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

I then entered some text from the chapter written from her fathers perspective in which he a. Learns that she wasn't murdered by her mother as a child, b. Learns that she is not part of the cult and that the cult wants her dead, and c. That she's the person behind the long string of murders targeting Avola worshipers and cult members that had been all over the news. Oh, and that from a religious perspective she was damned to the equivalent of hell no matter what because of something her mother had done to her, (it's complicated but the Christian equivalent is a combination of the sign of the beast (which is basically their version of the unpardonable sin) and demonic possession.) and that the religiously and arguably morally correct thing to do is kill her, something he really doesn't want to do because from the way he looks at it she's basically just the victim and never had a chance to be anything different than what she is.

Apparently that's female formally and informally.

12. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I tried a story...

Female = 3867
    Male = 5161
    Difference = 1294; 57.16%

...and a script for a video ad that I wrote.

Female = 556
    Male = 539
    Difference = -17; 49.22%

Apparently I write like a boy and sell like a girl. But I am European, so I guess that's a win for our robot overlords.

They do, you just have to dive into that paper they link to. (Admittedly, it says the website uses a simplified version of what's described there.) For instance:

13. GingerCoffee

Informal refers to blogs and forum posts. Formal refers to written stories both fiction and non-fiction. They're not very intuitive labels.

14. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

The numbers were pretty similar for the story. For the ad, it means I sell like a strong girl as opposed to a weak one - or that I'm not European. Possibly I sell like an American.

Maybe I should put 'sells like an American' on my business cards...

GingerCoffee likes this.
  15. GingerCoffee

I'd be careful, it might be misread, with an 'm' added in there. And that could be taken either way depending on one's preexisting opinion of Americans. :bigtongue:

NigeTheHat likes this.
  16. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I tried a WIP I never finished. For informal I got "Male" but as formal, I got "Weak Female (or European)." It was both male until I included some dialogue. The POV is first person from a European man's perspective, so I guess I'm on point? :p