1. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

Should I start my story like....

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ashrynn, Jun 28, 2011.

I've never set up a story this way before, but I wanted to give it a shot. Let me detail it now:

Currently I am editing one short-story and the next one which I've begun to write out is going to be a bit of a 'peak' into the idea of my next novel. I'll write it first to see what everyone thinks of it and if the idea and characters are solid then I'll continue into writing a novel.

The Idea:

Two years ago during a cross-country flight from New York to Las Angeles International there is an electrical glitch which causes the plane to crash. Due to the amount of people who die during this event, the very aspect of Death comes to ensure that the many souls are guided properly to their eternal rest, while the Sister's of Fate are there to enjoy one of the many events that was foretold to play out.

Death is annoyed by the way the sister's torment the souls of the dead and banishes them from it's sight. As Death prepares to leave it finds one soul still remains within the wreckage of the flight. As Death goes to free the soul it finds it's still within it's body, a young woman who survives the crash, but is about to die from the fire.

As the helpless girl looks into the face of Death, the ancient finds itself hesitant to remove the woman's soul. Unable to understand why this is, and to punish the Sister's, Death rescues the woman and breaks Fate's design in the process.

Ok so I wrote the above on the spot and I just NOW realized giving a snippet of the story-line is taking too long. Let me cut to the chase....Should I open the novel with this and then continue on with the story two years after the event???

Never done this so kind of wondering if it'd be alright. I don't want it to be a prologue as I always skip them and this is a major point in the story!

As I said, a toned down version in the form of a short-story will be up later to see how well the idea works out in practice...For now just want some advice to mull over >.<!

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'd do it as a first chapter rather than a prologue. Also, Sisters of Death (cool name btw) should not have an apostrophe. :)

3. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

I know >.<!!!

Unfortunately when I post directly to the forums(especially in chunks) I mess up a lot!

Sisters of Fate >.<!

I'm mulling over some ideas right now...If I make it a first chapter then I want to end the chapter in the present...

Perhaps the first paragraph is Death thinking back onto the situation that occured and it ends with the last one or two paragraphs going into present day!

^.^ Oh I like posting on here!

Still have to finish up my story -.-....I was editing it and figured out that I hated the ending of the other story so I'm re-writing it now.

4. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

It sounds interesting, and I on top of my head I can think of several ways to write this:

- Flesh out the story you've written here as a prologue. It's quite interesting.

- Flesh it out as a short story and include it in th back of the main story.

- Write it as a flashback in the main story.

- Base an entire story around this.

Personally, I think I would have gone with the first one. But it's your story, and I'm sure it will be great no matter you end up with. :)

5. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

A prologue would be really good for that scene, IMO. But if you wanted to do a first chapter, some authors put the date and location at the beginning of each chapter. You could do that.

6. Possibly Awesome Writer

Possibly Awesome Writer New Member

I reckon that would make a great prologue but for the rest of the story don't get too bogged down in supernatural characters. You will need to create other, normal or at least humanish (yes, I know that's not a word) characters to support and complement your main one.