1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

Just asking for opinions...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ferret, Jun 13, 2007.

I'm starting to work on a bit of a book that might turn into a series or short story, and I just want to see what people think about the idea.

-Set in a world reminiscent of the 1950's
    -A small town on the edge of civilization, bordering a vast desert.
    -A man returns, after thirty years, in the desert, claiming that he's seen the face of God.
    -He calls himself a prophet, and is run out by the town's priest.
    -THe narrator, the most reasonable choice to enter the priest hood (Like becoming a globe trotting businessman, but more fun) next, talks to him the day before he's run out of town, and decides to follow him into the dessert, to see "the face of God."
    -THe guy does all kinds of prophet like stuff, but the narrators starts to wonder if he really is a prophet, even though he has amazing abilities. He begins to wonder about what he really is.
    -And the ends a secret.

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hey man, looks very promising in my opinion (especially if you think the ending's good enough to hide :p)

I like the concept of this. It's moderately original, and if you can write it well I could see it being an excellent piece of writing either as a short story, a novel, or a series.

Good luck man! I say pursue it.

3. Daniel

Also, one other note. For the most part I strongly dislike stories that take place more than 10 years in the past. I don't know why, probably just a pet peeve. However, in the case of this scenario, it sounds like a timeframe I'd be willing to overlook. I know that's not saying much. Heh.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'd certainly read it. Get writing!

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

It isn't too bad of an idea, I'm not really into reading stories based around that kind of thing, but it does sounds rather interesting.
    So yes I too would read this one, it does sound rather intruiging to be honest.

~Torana

6. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Is the narrator going to be a omniscient yet intangible character, or merely a tool to write in the third person because the former has great potential?

7. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I'd definitely check it out from the library. Go for it!

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I like the premise. Is there a particular reason that you are setting this in the 1950's? Many readers will find it more difficult to relate to it, whereas people in my age group are more likely to be critical of details that don't ring true to the era. Therefore, research will be a challenge, and you may need to "sell" the setting to many younger readers.

Are you planning to relate the events in the 1950s to story elements set in the present, and even the future?

I'm very curious to see where you are going with this!

9. Ferret

Ferret New Member

It's written in the first person, and he has a few problems to cope with. The only reason it's set in the 50's is they wouldn't have the technology to chart out the desert. As for relating events, I plan on putting a few biblical references in there, some stuff about Ireland and their religious struggles, and stuff about the modern catholic church.

Thanks for the replies. Since it's summer, I'm gonna try and get the first chapter done in the next week or two.

10. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    This could work.
    But something you should know by the 1950's practically everything except for extreme mountain ranges and dense and very hard to reach jungles had been explored.
    So the desert would have been charted out. Details would be missed obviously, but they'd have a really good idea about the general layout, main features, etc.
    Other then that it sounds good, I'd check it out.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The International Geophysical Year (1957-58) was when a lot of mapping was performed, and satellite mapping was later than that. Before the IGY, it's quite conceivable that there could have been areas not adequately mapped.

There might also be the possibility of cloaking magicks or advanced technologies, which could even work if the piece were set in the present.

12. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Thats possible. But it depends on which desert it is. If its in Africa, it would be fairly well mapped. In Asia, they'd have a very general idea, and different maps would probably show several different features that didn't match up.
    It all depends on where its based.

1 person likes this.
  13. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I'm guessing it's somewhere in the States, Nevada or Arizona-like.

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I'm probably not gonna mention the name of the area, just the town and the dessert. And by map, I mean that the area is still very wild, and that people don't live out there (Not even natives.)
    ...Sorta like Alaska, but even more so.

15. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Fair enough. There goes my only objection.

16. Daniel

That's true, and could be quite possible since it revolves around spiritual powers of sorts.