1. PaulaO

PaulaO New Member

My Self-Publishing Plan

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by PaulaO, Sep 19, 2020.

I have 3 books that were previously published by a Real Publisher. But I got out of the contract when they were sold and now stand on my own. I've gotten over the fear finally and the first is ready to be re-released. It was re-edited (my how much my skill has improved!)

Cover is done - my nephew, Kyle, is an artist and these will look good on his resume. The one for this book is an illustration vs stock images.
    Formatting - it's all done and just waiting for me to afford an ISBN. I see no reason to spend so much on one when 10 is so much better-er.
    Editing - a friend (who is an editor and edited my 2nd book) is doing the edits. She's good and we get along. Which means disagreements are just that and not virtual fist fights.
    Copyright - I already own this one.

We'll be doing Amazon first with the formatting person teaching me how via screen sharing.

After that, I plan to do either Direct2Digital and IngramSpark.
    I am undecided if I let them do B&N and Kobo or if I should
    Along the way, I'll do Smashwords (the formatter knows how to format for them) and Google Books.
    I'll also be selling on my own website but I'm still working out the how of that.

So my questions are:

Am I forgetting anything?
    Do I need to copyright the cover(s) for Kyle?
    Anywhere else to submit it to?
    Change my order any?

Much thanks in advance!

PaulaO

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Do kobo yourself so you can access their promo
    Use D2d not ingram spark foe ebooks
    ingram spark for print as well as kdp (without extended distro ticked)
    covers kyle owns the copyright as soon as he creates them (in all honesty you should use an actual cover designer... it might look good on kyles CV but will it sell your books?)
    sales from your own website payhip for payments and book funnel for delivery ... but its not worth it unless you have a following already

PaulaO likes this.
  3. PaulaO

PaulaO New Member

Thanks!

As for the covers, yes, it will help sell the books. Else I would not have paid him for it. I love the kid but not that much.

Gotcha re: the two distributors. I had thought to let them both do the ebook since they have slightly different markets. Ingram has the print capability and they still sell well at cons and online with author autograph.

I am not a fan of Amazon but full get it is a demon I must be nice to. They'll be doing print, too? Huh. That's cool. I already knew they had the audio book service.

Yep! I got a following! And they're not all relatives! This book is romance and they've been wanting a second one (I hate writing them but am disgustingly decent at it though) which will be coming out soon. So this will get their attention. I've been building up the anticipation for several weeks now. Revamped website, new book covers, new logo, etc.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

ingram are terrible for ebooks... if you want more distributors than d2d offer publish drive are an option but note that they are a subscription model rather than the percentage that d2d use... , they will cost circa $240 dollars a year so you need to be selling more than $2400 through their channels before they become a better deal than a percentage (and of course you'll pay it even if you sell nothing, which is why i don't recomend them to people starting out.

At the end of the day Amazon have between 70 and 80% of the ebook market, and Kobo, Apple, Google and B&N split most of what is left... so there are few sales to be had via the little extra vendors some aggregators offer (Tolino are fairly strong into the german market), so it may not be worth going beyond D2D anyway

Also note that if you are direct with Kobo you can do overdrive through them rather than an agregator

Also in terms of using ingram for print, don't pay the $49 per book set up fees there are always codes out there to get them free... currently NANO2020 works as does GETPUBLISHED

PaulaO likes this.