1. Rag1ngRabb17

Rag1ngRabb17 Banned

Using radio in literature

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Rag1ngRabb17, Nov 3, 2017.

I remember reading this online publish story long time ago (like 2008) the one thing that stuck out to me was that the author used radio stuff that had nothing to do with the actual story what so ever but it fit so well with the story(no songs or lyrics but news and weather)

The closest thing i could find to this was KBillys Super Sounds Of The 70s from Reservoirdogs even though its a movie and Alan Wake with KBF FM even though its a game.

Are there any other examples of radio being used like this in other stories or novels? Would you use it in your stories? (sorry if this is in the wrong spot, im new to this forums)

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If it had nothing to do with the story but still fit well, it sounds like the author was using radio to set the time or place. If the news stories were real, that would be a good way of doing it.

If I were writing something set in the 1920s, '30s or '40s, I would definitely use that device.

3. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

Bastard! My idea! Mine!

It's a device I have used with great satisfaction, in a hardboiled detective novel. I tried to get a film noir feeling, and a radio program fit nicely.

Basically: instead of a POV character narrator, I started chapters with a night shift disc jockey talking to his audience in a deeeep philosophical mist. The MCs are in his world, but don't actually listen to his show. His monologues set the groundwork for the chapter's theme and events.

Despite what I said above, I can't take credit for originality. I got the idea from an incomprehensible how-does-this-even-exist 90s Canadian TV show called [Forever Knight]. An vampire becomes a Toronto cop. I have watched every episode and have come to the conclusion that the writers spent a lot of time on acid. But one show concept that really worked was Nigel Bennett's voiceovers. He won a Gemini for that role.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that show was pitched:
    "He's an 800 year old revenant; She likes baklava. Together they fight crime! .... Where do I sign?"

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017