1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

sounding off

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by cutecat22, Aug 25, 2016.

Movies.
    Remakes.

Any one else getting pissed off with the amount of remakes, sequels, prequels, re-jigged, re-written, Marvel installments that the film makers are churning out these days?

Yes, I know CGI can take a movie to the next level, I know make up, costume and set building has come a long way since the days of Ray Harryhausen's 1981 hit Clash Of The Titans (Oh, I love that film) but COME ON!

When are you going to stop picking DVD's off the shelf to "improve", and come up with some new stories?

Grrr.

Tenderiser likes this.
  2. Zorg

Zorg Member

Hopefully with the dismal (thankfully) returns on remakes - Ghostbusters, Ben-Hur, whatever else is coming down the pike - it will occur to some executive or producer that the dramatic loss of $$ and the public embarrassment of being connected to such a project will dissuade them from future endeavors. It's ridiculous that we have yet a 3rd f**king reboot of Spiderman.

cutecat22 likes this.
  3. cutecat22

I know!

And don't get me started on the re-hash of Fantastic Four, and as for the re-hash of Point Break .... if I was dead, I would be turning in my grave! How they could take the title and storyline of a total classic and put it to that bag of overpriced overacted crap, I'll never know!

4. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I heard something about this on NPR a few weeks ago. They talked about remakes and sequels as a way to take the "safe route". It kind of makes sense from a business perspective. With the amount of sites that stream movies (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, [then the illegal ones Shush.se putlocker.is]). They are doing their best to get butts in seats. What better way to do that without taking risks than to do something that's already been done?

ETA: They (corporate Hollywood) knew that a Ghostbusters remake would generate x amount of dollars based solely on the name. They couldn't have had that same knowledge about something new that hadn't been successful in the past. Same goes for Ben-Hur. People will see it because of the name and that's what they want: butts in seats.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  5. cutecat22

I guess I'm one of the few crying out for something new. And as per usual, the few get left behind and ignored in favor of the sheeple.

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

There are fresh rumours of a Drop Dead Fred remake with Russell cunting Brand.

NO.

Just no.

Cave Troll and cutecat22 like this.
  7. cutecat22

NO! Please, just no!

Rik is probably turning is his grave hearing that one!

What is so wrong with coming up with new ideas? What's so wrong that they have to take 80's classics and polish them into something they are clearly not?

Next on the list will be a remake of Earth Girls Are Easy ... anyone got Gina's cell number???

Tenderiser likes this.
  8. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Remakes and reboots are considered a safe option as they see as A) A proven concept and B) Milkable for nostalgia purposes. The sole reason Sony made a new Ghostbusters film, was because the 2009 game proved surprisingly profitable. The other "safe route" is franchises and, thanks to Marvel, the "cinematic universe concept" which Sony tried to do with both Ghostbusters and Spiderman, with both failing.

9. Tenderiser

Definitely parallels with publishing, hey? Less risky to go with an established author than a new one, and series are more lucrative than singles.

10. cutecat22

What's wrong with doing both?

The money made had to end up somewhere - i.e. it doesn't ALL go into production costs and wages so somewhere, there is a room full of very fat cats with very fat pockets.

So why can't some of those profits be used to make and promote new stories/films?

I'm not saying that every one produced will be a success, but the same can be said for these prequels/sequels/rehashes/resurgences - as shown by the ones which flopped.

Care to list the worst ones, in your opinion?

11. halisme

I'm just going to leave this here. Just listen to the thirty seconds between 2:00 and 2:30

12. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Well, it's the first one actually done by Marvel. Other two were Fox done, only licences. They're taking back their loaned properties from them.

13. halisme

Sony, not Fox. Nor is that how the rights work.

14. Oscar Leigh

There are plenty of unique movies coming out every year. Looking at the now showing for this cinema, it's my favourite. http://www.dendy.com.au/Page/Dendy-Newtown-Location. See how many originals there are, more than adaptions, sequels or reboots? Clear majority. There's loads of originals out there, including award winning blockbusters. And if you really must have originality watch some indie for god's sake, there's mountains of original artsy indie stuff. Plus, the vast majority of these adaptions, sequels and reboots are excellent, good or at least okay so they're worthwhile enterprises. It's not like they are piling on shit. I've just heard this complain too many times and it just doesn't hold any water to me.

15. Oscar Leigh

Oh, is Fox just X-Men and FF then? Either way, they're only doing it because this is technically their first time. They only authorized the previous ones, with some small supervisory capacity somewhere.

16. halisme

They funded the previous ones. It's how a lot studios work. The ones they took a stronger hand in are the reboot, and the last film of the original trilogy.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. halisme

Oh, of the ten films at my local cinema, six are sequels or reboots. It's very much a geographical thing.

18. Oscar Leigh

Either way, I don't really care. Spiderman has a rich ongoing story that could fill a year of movies, there's no reason to fuss about new adaptions,e specially given Marvel never keeps things the same in these adaptions. The plot will be half newly written or more, take Iron Man 3 it has huge plot elements that are completely new.

19. Oscar Leigh

Then find the more interesting cinemas in you area. Or maybe I'm just I'm just spoiled by my awesome neighbourhood. :supersmile:

20. halisme

It's the only one in a forty minute drive radius.

I like the Marvel films, but they have had a horrifying effect on the film industry. I might write a blog post on it.

21. Oscar Leigh

I'm not convinced much has changed. But I'll read it you post it, friend. :supersmile:

22. cutecat22

THIRTY!

23. cutecat22

There are 23 films listed at my local cinema.
    12 of them are remakes/resurgences/sequels/prequels/things dragged from the past.

The rest are a mix of horror, kids movies and satcoms. I don't do horror. My own reflection scares the bejeebers out of me and at 43 year old, I STILL can't make it all the way up the stairs at night in the dark without holding my breath, running like a madman and scrambling for the damn light switch while half expecting a bony claw hand to rise from the floor and grab at my ankles.
    Satcom - while I like comedy, satirical comedy is like watching flies gather around a pile of shit. It's not funny, it's not clever and quite frankly, I can find better things to do with an hour and a half of my time.

I will stick to watching what I do and complaining about the lack of decent movies and if you don't like it, leave this thread.

24. Tenderiser

Shudder

25. cutecat22

original artsy indie stuff ...

I'm all for indie (I am one) but not the kind that leave you thinking "what the actual f*** was that all about?"

I like movies that make me think but not at the expense of giving me a migraine.