1. Efstathios

Efstathios New Member

I need some direction..

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Efstathios, Nov 19, 2011.

First a bit of the background. I started writing a novel about 7 years ago even though I had no intention of being an author, I started to write this story is because I believe it is a story that needs to be told. Up to date there is roughly 70,000 words and I have yet to begin.

My issue is that I do not have the time to research and write and other personal factors preventing me to do this story justice. However there is enough down on paper for use to go on and understand the direction in it's entirety. Is there anyone out there that would like to help assist in the completion of this or even just give me some ideas on how to finish such a mammoth task? I need professional help and as such could lead to a possible script, movie.

It is a phenomenal epic historical piece set between 0 and 70ad in various parts of the Mediterranean but focusing primarily on Pompeii. This story is NOT about Vesuvius. It contains a real account of historical evidence but also involves Greek/Roman Deities. The protagonist is actually a demigod however he is unaware of this. The story only hints towards this as to keep the story based in fiction and not fantasy.

It is a highly mind blowing erotic piece of art containing philosophy, violence and sex in it's utmost and could possible rival Homer's universal scale and break down describing the virtues of humanity. It is set during the transitional aftermath of history between Greek and Roman. Think of it as a tale that would awe audiences like the works of great ancient Greek philosopher poets but with a modern day polish.

If there is anyone out there with any help at all in guiding me to making this story come to life please contact me. I can discuss details further then. This is the story everyone has been waiting for.

2. Irontrousers

Irontrousers New Member

"It is a highly mind blowing erotic piece of art containing philosophy, violence and sex in it's utmost and could possible rival Homer's universal scale and break down describing the virtues of humanity. It is set during the transitional aftermath of history between Greek and Roman. Think of it as a tale that would awe audiences like the works of great ancient Greek philosopher poets but with a modern day polish."

Whoa, there. Those are some pretty big claims for something you haven't even bothered to write yet. In the end, no one can hold your hand through the long and arduous process of mastering the art of storytelling. And holy shit, is it ever long and arduous. There is a LOT to learn. If you can't be arsed to seek out and gobble up and shit back out every little bit of knowledge you can, frankly, you'll never be a writer. Remember: many, many, MANY people have conceived of stories as epic and important to them as yours feels to you. The vast majority of them lived and died in obscurity, never publishing anything, never even FINISHING anything.
    If you want this story told--and that's a valid, even noble desire--then you have to fight to tell it any way you can.

tl;dr: It's your story, you write it.
    Good luck.

3. Irontrousers

Irontrousers New Member

You know what, I'm sorry. That reply was not very helpful. True, but not that helpful. Here are some actual tips.

Start with an outline. The consensus on the helpfulness of outlining is split straight down the middle, but it sounds like you might the kind of writer that works better by setting up a framework and then filling in the details. To do this, you need to study the structure of stories, starting with the three-act structure. It may seem far too stifling and formulaic to you, but believe me, it is vitally important that you understand it. Once you understand it so well that you can't watch a movie without seeing it in terms of the three-act structure, THEN you may begin to break it apart and play with it more. This is true for every single tradition, formula, and trope. You must master the basics before you can start dicking around with them.
    From there, start studying smaller-scale structure. For example, scene structure. Then smaller and smaller and smaller.
    Then character. Character is a little more tricky, but once you get used to plot structure, you'll understand character a little more intuitively. Remember, it's all just patterns. Always. Everything. Patterns, patterns, patterns.
    Just... learn as much as you can, okay? I hope this helps get you started in the right direction.

4. Irontrousers

Irontrousers New Member

p.s.: smoking a little weed wouldn't hurt either.

5. Surfwinky

Surfwinky New Member

Why are you here Efstathios? To learn how to write or find someone to finish what you started. Maybe it doesn't matter. The world is full of unfinished projects... just look at the world. But the proof is in the pudding, grinding it out will drive you nuts and tastes so good when you finish. It's the journey, the preparation of the meal, that's where you find out how it's done. What it tastes like.

Irontrousers is giving some real good advise. Well, the part about smoking a little weed sounds tempting but that stuff just makes your hair fall out and causes drain damage.

I feel a little pretentious saying all this but I'm also here to get some posts under my belt and I hope this helps.

6. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

Do you mean you have already written 70,000 words but still have a long way to go to finish? If so, I recommend you consider breaking it up into a series. Few people will buy a monstrous book written by a first-time author.

7. Blue Night

Blue Night Active Member

I wish I had that luxury. I had to write every word by the sweat of my brow.

8. Blue Night

Blue Night Active Member

This is your first post. No hello. No how are you doing?
    This is it? Okay, got it.

9. Efstathios

Efstathios New Member

First of all, let me say hello. Now let me say thank you for the replies. :)

Some really good advice Irontrousers, can you please direct me to any helpful information on the three act structure? As I said I have put down around 60-70,000 words already however the real 'meat' and crux of the story is yet to be written. It seems like I've actually written a prologue instead which I now think was a bad idea, however there are some really interesting things which build the main character up so people can understand the reason behind what makes him who he is.

Perhaps Bob Magness has the right idea with a series. When I started I thought I could push it until the end, how wrong I was sitting here 7 years later. I am a graphic designer by trade and find it increasingly difficult to find time and creativity to give justice to such a mammoth saga.

Maybe the true story is writing the book itself ;) LOL