1. kkane49

kkane49 New Member

stars? PM?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by kkane49, Nov 10, 2008.

Why are there gold stars on some threads? What is a PM and how do I do that- I want to write to some of my readers- especially Cogito- on occasion. k

2. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I believe that means it's a popular thread. A lot of people like it.

Right below your user ID at the top of the page you see User CP. Click on that. When the page loads, scroll down the left side to send new message.

Make sure to type something where it says title, then type your message in the box below that.

Then click submit message. Easy peasy!:p

PS There may be an easier way to get to the PM area, this is just the way I do it. Cogito will tell you if so.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A PM is a private message. You can send them from your Inbox (link near the top of most pages), or from the menu you get when you click on a user name in the avatar panel, or from the contact tab of the user's profile page..

The stars are the thread rating. It's a useless and somewhat annoying feature that will hopefully be eliminated in the near future.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree it should go, as it doesn't honestly represent popularity, only that someone has clicked on that option and if only one gives it a 5-star rating, it still shows that of 'all' who did, the 'most' liked it that much... and i think you can click on it yourself, so you'll be rating your own work...

here's how it works... if a person votes it a 5-star and the next a 1-star, it averages out and shows as a 3-star, even though only 2 people have voted...

5. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Wow, it does appear to be useless.

I'd been wondering for awhile why some of the threads with stars didn't seem to be any better or worse than any of the others.