Tags:
  1. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

Culture and plots because of it.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kata_Misashi, May 8, 2017.

So its been a while since I last posted to this site and I got to admit, my drive for writing took an all time low after school but recently I've been thinking bits and pieces of my old story. I think it was a wise choice to begin anew from the top.

I decided to tackle the issue of culture first; the main one wanted to get feedback on and see what others think.

So starting with the first is basically the beginning on how the planet came to be.

- This is a culture spans throughout the world and its regions. Despite other cultures begin there and fully believed, this is one that most people on the planet (human and beast-folk alike) know of.

It is the belief that the planet was born by Gaia (not the most original idea or name but...). In any case, from Gaia the three main powers of the planet arose. Knowledge, Strength, and Magic; held respectively by a human, a lion, and a avian.

Gaia gave birth to the three in order for them to work together and create a planet where everyone could share each trait. Instead the three 'Beings of Power' began to fight and bicker among one another, however. Angered by their quarreling, Gaia separated the three to a portion of the planet and chose to let each give govern over their own continent.

Time pasted and the 'Beings of Power' anger for one another was replaced by regret; feeling upset that the only friends they had were kept away within their separate region. Wanting to make amends, they gave a portion of their power to the adjacent continent to bestow them with their power; not taking into consideration the toll it would take on them.

Each weaken by their generosity, the 'Beings of Power' relied on mortals to uphold the well-being of the planet with the power given to them.

~~~​

Still a work in progress but so far this is what I have.

Thoughts and feedback welcomed.

Stormburn and ame_trine like this.
  2. cherrya

cherrya Active Member

I like it a lot actually. I don't have anything negative to say about it because from where I'm looking at it it's pretty nice, but I do have a few questions (this is gonna be a bit hard because english isn't my first language).

What I like the most about religion is that it represents the culture a lot, and also the state of mind of the people back then. Is that how it works for you? Are the people still in an age where 'religion' is law and every bit of it should be taken literally, or do people, in the most part, recognize (let's say it like that) that it should be taken more in a philosophical way (not sure if that's the right word lol), to inspire or to teach a lesson?

Because I feel like that's the point of those stories of creations in books, not just to look nice but to reflect something.

If that's how you write it, then good work haha! If not it might give you something to think about.

I hope this makes a least a bit of sense even though I didn't really give you what you wanted lol.

3. Teresa Mendes

Teresa Mendes Member

So far, I really like the concept (you can always change the name Gaia later on if you feel it's not original enough).

"Each weaken by their generosity, the 'Beings of Power' relied on mortals to uphold the well-being of the planet with the power given to them." - can you give more details on this part? What do mortals do?

4. Kata_Misashi

Ahh! Thank you for your comment! It means a lot to me. :)

To answer your question, it is a bit of both... as how it is on our planet. Some people take it to heart where they follow it such as a law while some are more easygoing about it. If I had to say which half you'll see more well... guess we'll have to wait till I start writing it out, huh! ^w^;

5. Kata_Misashi

Thank you for your comment! Allow me to explain.

The "Beings of Power" relinquished some control in order to give free will to all the beings on the planet. Each different "race" holds it's own important part in the upkeep of the planet. For example: Knowledge is used to create useful technology. Strength is used to develop more rich land, hunting, and the sort. Magic is used to bridge the gap where knowledge and strength cannot reach. Each of these pillars hold equal importance in maintaining the status quo.

6. Teresa Mendes

Teresa Mendes Member

I like it! It looks like a great base for a world. Don't forget to include the religion + culture and traditions + economic and social status. Guess each "race" will have their particular way of doing things. =)

7. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I would suggestion considering faith vs religion as a sort of tension/conflict source which is a variation of vision vs bureaucracy.
    How faithful are these mortals to the founders vision? As their duties increases, and their organization grows, what is the balance of leadership between the god and its follower?

8. cherrya

cherrya Active Member

Really interesting. World building is so much fun to read/write when it's done like that! It's so human and follows a straight pattern, but it's always unique in its own way.

If I read it and go "Yeah, humans are like that" (even if your characters aren't necessarily humans) I'll automatically trust you. But that's me!