Tags:
  1. Nealo d

Nealo d New Member

In the middle of moving from Spain to Cheshire UK

Pleeease- look at the non-fiction thread!

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Nealo d, Oct 3, 2007.

The title says it all really. We all dive into the short story and poetry threads with arms and minds wide open. Try to remember though that writing takes many forms, each as valid, creative, difficult and exciting as the other.
    Take a look at the non-fiction forum. There's not a lot of action. Frankly, my fellow users, you are staying away in droves!

Don't be scared, it's not all boring and dull and technical. I like to think that there's some pretty cool, honest, truthful stuff being posted down there. The thing is, non fiction needs your feedback too. Not the kind of feedback that can be had from journalism lecturers- it's not all journalism. Non-fiction writers need the same kind of feedback that fiction writers need. Are the spelling and grammer correct? Is the text clear in what it is trying to say? Does it grip the reader?

You know the drill, it's what all writers need- a little guidance to get them and keep them on the path of that holiest of holies, good writing.

So pay us a visit, and leave your words of wisdom, because at the moment, I think I speak for all of us non-fiction writers when I say that we feel a little ignored and marginalized.

Thanks for listening!

2. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

I like non fiction, I have a degree in it.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

thing is, neal, you can't expect those who don't write or read non-fiction to go there just because it's there... and you wouldn't/shouldn't want those who don't know the medium to critique your work, since the feedback might not be all that relevant or helpful, if they did...

my best advice is to accept the fact that since non-fiction is not a 'sexy' writing form, you'll always be a poor step-sibling to the more popular stuff, and just go ahead and do your writing and hope some others who do the same will stop by now and then...

love and hugs, maia

4. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

Hey rename the Forum "Creative Non-Fiction", or "Belles Lettres" (however that is spelled). Maybe Non-fiction sounds really boring?

5. absis minas

absis minas New Member

I believe that everyone should have an opinion about everything regardless of whether or not they have any operable knowledge in the field. People not understanding what I write certainly helps my writing. Does nothing to change how I do it, but everything to let me know that I am writing for a limited audience.

Likewise - people learn from at least trying (however "apopheniac-ally") to draw connections.

6. mammamaia

apopheniacally

...no such word... what did you mean to say there?...

7. absis minas

absis minas New Member

I am aware - and was aware - that "apopheniacally" is not a word.

"Apopheniac," however, is. People add to words all the time to better convey ideas. Just like you type in all lowercase.
    You wanna look it up the definition of the word "apophenia"?

Cut the Grammar Nazi Nonsense, Eva Braun. This isn't the Review Room.

8. mammamaia

my name's not eva and there's no need to be testy, as i was merely trying to figure out what you were trying to say in your post and admittedly was not familiar with the relatively new [1958] word coinage by a writer i hadn't heard of... it wouldn't hurt for you to be polite, would it?

despite the rude sarcasm, i'm grateful to you for adding a useful word to my lexicon...

m

9. daisyfly

daisyfly New Member

Hey there, fellow non-fictionian (yes, I made that up lol). I actually just posted a piece in the non-fiction section a few minutes ago. I agree - it is an often overlooked area, as people tend to think it will be drab, dry or otherwise dull. Happy writing!