1. Kyix

Kyix New Member

Should i write or no

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Kyix, Oct 15, 2012.

I have really good ideas when it comes to stories and recently i was inspired by star wars to write a science fiction story. I am afraid tough that people will criticize me about it. What i was thinking about doing was having an order like the Jedi from star wars.....but not 100% like it and that's where i am afraid of being criticized. I'm afraid of people saying that I ripped off star wars or something like that. Should i still write even if i am afraid of people thinking i'm ripping off star wars. Personally i think i should but i wanted to know what other people would say first.

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Every story has elements/influences/ideas from other stories. Star Wars isn't the only thing that has some noble order of knights/wizards/mystics/etc. It's an old idea that was modernized for a scifi story.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Who cares what other people say? Do you wanna write it or not? If yes, then go back to your word document (or notebook, whichever works) and get writing!

Btw, there will always, always, ALWAYS be haters. If you let them stop you, you'll never write. Don't deprive the world of your amazing stories just 'cause there're a few who always like to criticise and spoil everyone else's fun ;)

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I have the same problem with my sci-fi, Kyix. Sometimes I fear people will think it's a Star Trek rip-off what with Academies and starships off on random adventures in space.

But then I realized. Just about every sci-fi set in space is like that. Star Trek is among the more famous and well-known ones. (That and Mass Effect, which is what inspired me to do the thing in the first place.)

There'll always be haters. Add your own spin to this idea, make it yours, and write!

There will always be captains and commanders, men and women of orders that date back centuries before the time of recorded history (if you want it to be such.) There will always be aliens, some looking like bipedaled cats, lizards, any other animal species we have here on Earth.

All that matter is what your plot is, if it excites you, and, if so, you sitting your butt down and writing it out!

"Should you write or no"? Is that even a question? If you are compelled to sit down and write, then the answer should be pretty clear!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

we can't tell you if you 'should' or not... go ahead and write it if you want to...

6. Langadune

Langadune Member

I'm from the part of Kansas that doesn't look like
    Even Star Wars copied its elements from others... samurai, westerns, operas, etc. The way you write and how you "flesh" out your universe is what makes it unique. There will always be critics and haters. Critics can help you improve, haters are just haters and you won't win them over anyways.

Write. That's the only way to get better and that's the only way to get your story out of your head.

WRITE.

7. Jayce

Jayce New Member

Write!

8. Thromnambular

Thromnambular New Member

Even Star Wars borrows concepts from other things. In fact, some people would argue that a lot of concepts seen in Star Wars (including some of its plot) can be found in Dune, which predates the release of A New Hope by a decade.

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

So, if we say you shouldn't write, you won't?

Don't write. Stick with photography...well, no, you don't want to be accused of ripping off Ansel Adams. Music! No, wait, you might be accused of ripping off Mozart, or the Beatles (or, God forbid, BOTH!). Um, painting. Try painting. Nope. Might be accused of ripping off Van Gogh or Matisse. I know...trout fishing!

But if you must, try ripping off something much more worthy than "Star Wars".

10. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Just google

star wars rip-off

and see what happens...

11. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

Dear Mr. Kyix, indeed, as the proverb says "practice makes perfect". Of course talent is an important factor. Writing spontaneously is one of the best ways to improve oneself.
    What should be done is taking the first step. It may be tough in the beginning but everything afterwards becomes easier, and you will reach, God willing.We wish you all the best.

12. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

:O What does that mean, 'more worthy'?!

Anyway, starwars was not all spontaneously generated from George Lucas head, he got alot of stuff from medieval legend and ancient japanese folk lore. The process will repeat endlessly, people ripping off other people. If you want to write it, write it. If you don't want to, don't!

May the Force be With You!

13. Link the Writer

Write. My fantasy may be accused of ripping off The Elder Scrolls because it has enslaved cat people (just like The Elder Scrolls, but my cat people are different from their cat people)

It's what is fun for you!

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. If you have to ask whether you should write, you probably don't have the drive, the obsession, you will need to get good enough at it for it to "pay off."

If you are that worried about what other people think, you probably don't have the guts to stick your neck out and write what you believe.

But go ahead and prove me wrong.

15. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

We're a community that is split into two distinct halves, I think. The first half is made of those who like to get feedback on ideas for stories and ask about what is "acceptable" or "cliché" (shudder). The other half will tell them the same thing every time; "Just write it!" It's really simple advice, but it's the best advice. If you get hung up on planning a story or worrying about criticism, I guarantee that you won't reach your writing goals. Trust me; I speak from experience.

The statistics I threw out there are by no means accurate... I doubt it's really fifty-fifty.

16. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Having a great idea doesn't mean you can write that idea well.

Unfortunately, it's the writing that makes the story not the story that makes the writing. Even the best idea in the world can be written poorly and it will go nowhere.

I would say no and here is why:

I only know you by your post here and you seem to have issues with spelling, punctuation and grammar. These can be learned but you will need to do that before writing anything.

Secondly, if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't.

But this is just my opinion and there are those that will think I am wrong for discouraging you. I mean, by all means, if you ENJOY writing, then write and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. However, if you want to become a published author, you have a tremendous, almost impossible hill to climb.

Good luck. ;)

17. shadowwalker

I don't agree that asking the question means they aren't meant to be writers or don't have what it takes. It simply means they are new to this whole gig and aren't sure what's acceptable yet (and I'm saying "they" because a lot of new writers ask the same question). And although it's a pet peeve of mine as well, how one writes on these forum posts is hardly an indication of how they write and edit a story. A lot of very good writers get sloppy when posting.

Might be a good idea for some 'veterans' to remember their own questions when they were first starting out...

18. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I respectfully disagree. Sure, a spelling error here and there but really if someone writes an enitre paragraph you can get a feel for where their skill level is. I would love to be proved wrong though. ;)

19. Cogito

Did you happen to notice how I closed out the post?

Was I too subtle?

20. shadowwalker

For newbies, yeah.

Stick around any number of writing forums - it won't take long. And like I said, it's a pet peeve of mine, but you learn to live with it.

21. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

None of us can give you a satisfactory answer Kyix. The only person who can is you. Should you write your stories? You alone can decide that. But ask yourself this - do you want to?

If yes then start writing. It may not turn out to be everything you want or expect it to be. You may give up. Or you may succeed and write a brilliant book. I don't know. But I do know that if the answer is yes and you commit yourself to it, the long hours behind the keyboard, there will be rewards even if you don't finish. There is always some reward for at least embarking on a dream.

Cheers, Greg.

1 person likes this.
  22. Cogito

Perhaps I trust the intelligence of "newbies" a bit more than you do. Instead of coddling them, I prefer to present a challenge.

23. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

If you know you should write it, write it. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like a story. There are people who don't like Harry Potter, and look how successful it is. Why are you posting for validation? Not to sound rude, but as a genuine question to ask yourself: what good do you think it will bring you? What if someone had replied and said "no, don't write it." Would you decide to not write it, just because some random person online said so?

Think for yourself.

24. Link the Writer

Mallory is right!

So get to writing, Kyix!

<puts you in your chair>

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

amen to that!