1. SophiaWrites

SophiaWrites New Member

Seeking critique / feedback on chapter 1 of manuscript

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by SophiaWrites, May 19, 2017.

Hi all.

I wonder if you can help me. I've recently completed a romance manuscript at 85k words. I submitted it to agents / pubs, and while many stated my writing style was strong, premise was interesting etc, the first chapter didn't hook them enough. Since then I've changed it around sooo many times, over the course of a couple of weeks and I'm ready to tear my hair out.

I just can't seem to get it right. I'm unsure if I've read it too much, or whether it's flat, and needs some more work. Does anyone fancy reading the 10 pages and offering brutal feedback? I don't get offended easily, so any suggestions on characters, writing, improvements etc would be welcome, to ensure the reader WANTS to turn the pages.

Is it possible to PM on here?

Kind regards,

2. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

While someone might take the chance on a PM, we do have a workshop which is for critique. You'll be able to post there for all to have a "stab at" once you've filled the criteria.

Here you go:

• Posting in the Writing Workshop requires 2 or more constructive critiques of other members' work for each new posted work.
    • You must be registered for at least 14 days and have made 20 posts before you can create a thread in our workshops.
    • Only your own writing may be posted in the Writing Workshop.

3. SophiaWrites

SophiaWrites New Member

Thanks. I'm a bit nervous about posting publicly, which is why I wondered about PM-ing. Will certainly give feedback on others work too :)

4. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Just commented in your other thread.

Though, that is understandable! I think some people take it through PM as well, so it's probably not impossible to get someone interested.

As for me, English isn't my native tongue, so I'm not hanging around the workshop much. I try to help out sometimes, and I'd like to post something at one point, but... I'm not the best help to get! Though if it's not not language as much as the story you need help with, I might drop by if you decide to post something :)

5. SophiaWrites

SophiaWrites New Member

Thanks so much.