1. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

fortune telling, prophecy, time travel, and paradoxes

Discussion in 'Research' started by Smoke Z, Apr 9, 2014.

I'm looking for what to call this...

What if you know that something bad is going to happen to someone, but you don't warn them because it is supposed to happen.

Like, you could warn someone of a car accident, but you don't because it led to an xray that warned them about bone cancer.

Or you see that someone will die, but if they don't die the Nazis win the war. Or someone becoming a martyr inspires something greater than their life would be.

Or you tell someone to take a vacation, knowing that they would get into a plane crash by going. But they buy the seat and prevent someone important from being there.

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Foreseeing the future is called premonition. A person could be called a 'seer'. If she shared it with others, she'd be an oracle. What people do with their premonitions, it depends. It sounds like your character can follow the futures of others at will, she either concentrates or simply 'knows', so it's more intricate and detailed than a typical dream or a vision. Clairvoyance usually involves a method of divination (tea leaves, cards, palmistry, crystal ball etc). If they gain knowledge through communicating with spirits, they are a medium. So I'd go for a seer or oracle.

3. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

Yes, but I'm looking for a specific aspect of it... what that would be called. If you've ever watched Star Trek TNG : Yesterday's Enterprise, they are taking the martyr route where they send a ship and its crew to their deaths to restore a more peaceful timeline. In this case, the martyr does know at least what is coming.

What is the name for hiding the truth that you've scryed?

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Avoiding a paradigm shift in time? Basically withholding information to avoid a paradigm shift in the future time?

5. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

This gave me a good place to start, but I still hit a dead end. Maybe I should just throw words at bablefish and see what sounds good in latin. (Bad latin is an in-joke among the fandom.)

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Try this direction:

Predestination paradoxes

Lewdog likes this.
  7. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

This is very helpful.

It is what I'm working with. More the concept of not breaking the predestination paradox by warning someone that it'll happen. Newcomb's Paradox might work, except it's a universe where it was named by someone else, so still throwing latin at bablefish if that's what I find fits best.