1. dionusos1

dionusos1 New Member

Ending sentences with prepositions.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by dionusos1, Dec 11, 2007.

I generally don't end a sentence with a preposition, unless the sentence sounds awkward. What's your view?

http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/prepositions1.html

The author here gives some good examples of when the orthodoxy of not ending sentences with prespositions ought to be violated.

" Here's another example: There is no need to notify us about problems of which we are already aware.

Doesn't it sound far better to say: There is no need to notify us about problems that we are already aware of.

I just came across this example in a newspaper article this morning:
    Officials in Iraq still have not decided with whom he will be allowed to meet.

Now see how this version sounds to you: Officials in Iraq still have not decided whom he will be allowed to meet with."

2. Crimson Threnody

Crimson Threnody New Member

I think, even in the examples it is, "assumed" to be there - even if it is not. People may read it with the extra preposition, even in its absense.

Even though it may *sound* better, it doesn't *look* better.

3. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

Sentences can end with prepositions as long as there is an object for them previously in the sentence.

Okay: Don't forget to pick the money up.
    The word money is the object of the preposition up.
    *You may also use "whom" but not many people are going to jump down your throat if you don't. If you do, someone might actually jump down your throat for trying to sound prissy.

Bad: Are you coming with?
    Ther is no object in the sentence for with. The only word that could serve as its object is you, and it's busy being the subject. In this instance, use the word along.

It reminds me of a quote from Winston Churchill: "From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."