1. rfactory

rfactory New Member

Studying Abroad

Discussion in 'Research' started by rfactory, Feb 11, 2018.

Hi, can anyone tell me why Asian students study abroad? I've heard that it's because they can get into university easier or something like that a long while ago but I can't find anything online about it. I prefer actual Asians answer this question, but if you do know something, feel free to tell me!

2. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

Asian is a pretty big category. Mainland Chinese, Japanese, Korean? Singapore Indian, Malaysian, Bangladeshi? Knowing what demographic we're dealing with would help a lot.

Mink likes this.
  3. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

This. For some countries, there are more opportunities to study abroad and there's more support to study abroad (which increases the likelihood of studying abroad); it can sometimes be cheaper as well. For other countries, there's pressure to study abroad for school and for future business opportunities. For others, it's a mixture. Then some countries have fewer students that study abroad than others.

Here is an article about Chinese students studying in the UK, which might offer some insight. It doesn't have a whole ton of information, but I think the answers given will vary from person to person and country to country.

4. rfactory

rfactory New Member

Sorry guys, I thought being too specific would get less answers but I probably should have clarified. For my story, I was thinking Korea --> US studying abroad. And specifically, wealthy people.

5. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

Here's a couple of answers I could dig up:

1. "Why do so many South Koreans choose to study and stay in China?" (from Quora so these a personal answers)
    2. "Overseas Study Loses Allure for South Koreans" (from Reuters)
    3. "The Changing Tide of South Korean Student Flows" (from NAFSA.org)
    4. "For Some Foreign Students, U.S. Education is Losing Its Attraction" (from The New York Times)

While several articles deal with the influx of students dying down, they still provide insight on why there are a lot of students who study abroad. Most of the reasoning has to deal with getting jobs after school.