1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

taking break from writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by 123456789, Jan 9, 2015.

Maybe you're busier. Maybe you're in between drafts and you don't feel like being absorbed in something else. Maybe you're tired. Does anyone take breaks from writing? I'm talking about not writing, period. Use that time instead for extra reading.

Just like with anything else, I think extended breaks are bad and impede progress but I'm hoping a small break, maybe between 1 and 3 weeks can sometimes be good? What do others think, based on their own experiences?

This is more of a question to those here who write consistently.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Because I'm a student I need to alternate between academic writing and fictional writing. But honestly, I think if you don't have anything to say in fiction then why are you really writing fiction? Maybe a break between drafts or whatever is what you need to get you all good and angry, or just recharge the creative juices so you can go back to it with new eyes.

Taking a break from a work is something I think everyone should do, as it creates distance between you and the work and lets you see it more objectively. Maybe the true is same of writing in general?

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I feel bad when I don't write and take lots of time off.
    Feel like I'm betraying myself because I want to be an author yet purposefully slacking off.

I take breaks from certain stories I work on just to let the ideas simmer and get a change of pace when I need to
    But other than that, I try to keep myself invested in the writing world whether it's reading about it, working on my projects, finding homes for said projects, or whatever.

However, nothing wrong with taking 1-2 days off to unwind, relax, and do fun stuff.
    Like anything, you need to have a day off or so just to not go crazy.

123456789 likes this.
  4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I will have to do this too. I don't consider them the same thing so I might count academic writing as a break.

Lemex likes this.
  5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

To be honest, I do.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

It's been cold here and I haven't been in the mood to write. It happens. For me taking a break doesn't really affect my writing unless I let it. Meaning once I'm in the mood or push myself to go back to it I can usually pick up where I left off. I think it's because I usually leave a story unfinished ( mid scene ) and it's always there - calling me to come finish it. I suppose it would be harder to start a fresh project. But again that all depends on the writer and how they work.

Sometimes it's good to take a break because in that time something will happen, you'll grow a bit, have an experience that will bring fresh insight to the characters/ and or project that will make it all the more better.

I sometimes write things in chunks waiting for an overheard bit of conversation, a piece of artwork, something I've read, some trigger to help me fill in something about my story. I guess that's because I don't plan it all out. I don't always need them but I don't worry about them when they happen.

7. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

I find steady writing a difficult objective for myself. However, each time I get back to it, I write more, steadier and for longer periods of time. It seems as if it is like fitness. Use it or lose it.

8. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Excuse my reply since I don't meet your qualifier, but I am curious about this. Why would reading be considered a break from writing? Wouldn't reading offer a chance to broaden your writing skills, maybe even turn into research? And of course I would think if you spent time not physically writing but thinking of your next story or WIP and how to proceed, etc. you're are still writing in my opinion. Writing is a mental challenge so taking a "break" really seems like catching your breath at best. No rest for the wicked writer.

I really seem to be missing something with Fitzroy Zeph's post, the last two sentences seem to contradict the previous sentence, you come back stronger after a break.

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I used to write all the time, but the last year or so I've been between mss more than I've been working on something. This has its reasons of course. I've been in a self confidence crisis, I've started things and couldn't finish them, I've doubted myself and haven't found a story I could and wanted to commit to. I've been thinking a lot. Sometimes life comes in between as well. Both the family and professional situation has been a roller coaster during 2014. The thing is, I don't think that has necessarily affected my writing negatively. Rather the opposite. When I do write it comes out better than before. All I need to do now is to gather the force, persistence and faith to finish what I start. I'd say not writing for a while is not a problem as long as you don't make it a problem. It's all in your head.

10. LorenaTralala

LorenaTralala Member

It's hard for me to take breaks, though I have in the past, my characters for certain projects are so ingrained in my head they live there and are always talking to me, telling my what they think and annoyingly nagging me to keep writing. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but it makes it very difficult to take even a week off when they're always there. I will say that once or twice I've been in situations where I cant write (i.e hospital stays and personal problems) and they seem to be pretty understanding about that, sometimes even surprisingly so but if it's not an emergency they don't seem to give a damn. But at the end of the day I created them, I made them so real they have the capacity to surprise me so if I blame them I have to blame myself.

Did I just sound really crazy? Ah well...:cool: