Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writewizard

writewizard New Member

The end of the world is in 2012!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by writewizard, Dec 25, 2009.

Okay, okay. So I've heard on sights like mylifeisaverage.com and others that the world is going to end in 2012. Do you think that's acurate? If so, why? What is your source and your proof? If you think it is inaccurate, why? What is your source and your proof?

As for me, even if the world does end in 2012, I will be still building a new life for myself elsewhere. I'm not going to let the world ending stop me in anything. :D

What is your vote?

End of the world is in 2012 =
    The world will keep going in 2012 =

(If this post is offensive, sorry. I'm just meaning for general discussion on the topic.

2. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Proof? Have you not laid eyes on the Mayan calendar? Prophesies of NOSTRADAMUS? The Egyptians. All of these ancient and mystical signs point to one thing: the End of Days. Sell your house and move to the highest mountain peak and build an ark. Yes, and bring animals. Two of each.

On the other hand, it seems as though the end of the world comes at least once a decade.

3. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

If it ends, then it ends and I'm going to die. If it doesn't, then. Oh well. Life goes on.

I can't change it either way.

4. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

What if the end of the world is tonight? Hmm...

I don't know when it will end. I don't think it will end then, but yeah, you never know. I hope it doesn't, though. There are so many things I still have to do, people I have to meet, stuff like that. ;)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nobody can possibly 'know' one way or t'other and votes sure won't determine the issue... i can only hope the mayans got it right and interpretations of their calendar that say it'll all be over 2 years or so from now aren't skewed...

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

If I remember correctly I once read an explination of the Mayan Calendar and in no way shape or form does it predict that the world will come to an end on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of some era or cycle that last for a few thousand years or so and then it starts over. Much of the Mayan's writings were destroyed thanks to some spanish dude who wanted gold or something and only a few things escaped. Anyways the Mayan Calendar doesn't predict the world to end this date. (Thats of course I understood it right)

Though there is something major that is going to happen in 2012. Apparently on the date the calendar ends our Solar system will no longer be on part of the Milky Way Galaxy. On this date we are supposed to have an alignment with the center of the Galaxy and then drift downwards towards the bottom.

Oh and we are also supposed to experience lots of solar activity which could crash the power grid. but not really sure about the effects, I read a few articles on it and watched some show on TV. *shrugs*

Apparently the Mayans were brilliant mathmaticians and astrologist.

Though as for the other supposed prophecies I don't know.

7. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

The Mayans have abandoned that prophecy - they never made it. Someone found their calendar, decided that their abandoning it was more to do with their prophecies, rather than the far more logical explanation of Spanish conquest and genocide, and then slammed it together with Sumerian predictions.

That lasts for twenty years - we were aligned in 1998, and it hasn't done anything yet.

8. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

We are not leaving the Milky Way:
    [​IMG]

Something major will happen on 2012: Millions of people will be disappointed that nothing happened.

Galactic alignment is benign. Take a tiny magnet and use it to lift a paper clip. That tiny magnet is exerting more force than the ENTIRE EARTH. The paper clip is, during this experiment, approximately 5 feet from the Earth. I doubt a celestial body MILLIONS OF MILES AWAY will have any affect.

9. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

Errr.... if the world ends in 2012 then why do we care? There isn't anything that we can do, the world is ending. Meh, sounds stupid to me. It's Y2K, SARS, Bird Flu, H1N1 (Swine Flu) all over again.

10. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

To the OP: The 2012 thing is completely bogus. Do a little research and you will see for yourself what LK, Unit, Gallow are talking about.

11. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

And yet the Sun, which is millions of miles away, has lots of effect on the earth. :p

12. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Mass of the sun: 1.9891 ×1030 KG (332,946 Earths)

Mass of Jupiter: 1.8986×1027 KG (317.8 Earths)

So if 1,000 celestial bodies the size of Jupiter suddenly appear in our humble corner of the universe, and they are all perfectly aligned, then yes, I will admit that it could cause some worries. However that will never happen. Ever.

We are also relatively close to the sun. Other celestial bodies are too distant to cause any affect. Distance is why the tiny moon creates more effect here than the giant planets like Jupiter and Uranus.

13. freelancer903

freelancer903 New Member

Actually, the world isn't going to end in 2012, although things as we know them may change dramatically sometime in the very near future. My source of reference? Bible prophesy, which is the most ancient and historically accurate book in the world.

So far every single Bible prophesy has come true, unlike the prophesies of the latter-day "prophets" that have come and gone.

Jesus Christ is sheduled to return to earth as He promised. We believe the time is very close for many reasons not worth going into here. When He returns, He will come with a vengeance and conquer the armies of the world gathered at Armageddon.

Afterwards He will reign as the King over all the earth for 1,000 years, and the world will continue under His sovreign rule.

Then at the end of that 1,000 years will be the White Throne judgment, after which this earth will pass away and there will be "a new heaven and a new earth."

So no, the world will not end in 2012, but things might get pretty wild between now and then. I'm thinking 2012 might be the year Christ returns, which would certainly mark the end of days as we know them, but certainly not the end of the world!

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Keep in mind that there are many faiths represented by the membership of this site. All of them deserve respect, or at least tolerance.

Please make sure your posts and responses do not dismiss other members' beliefs.

Thank you.

15. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Like the prediction that the city of Tyre would never be built again?

Honestly, don't buy into the 2012 claptrap. Most people refer to both the Aztecs and Nostradamus to 'prove' the veracity of this idea that the apocalypse is coming (and coming soon) but if you look at the Aztec calendar it splits our history into 5 important mini stages, at the end of which major catastrophes were said to happen, and this is proof of the truthfulness of this idea. Well, I checked them out and they are very uninteresting years, and no 'major incident' occurred.

I don't even need to state why we can discount Nostradamus.

16. Gallowglass

Prophecies aren't always obvious, and a lot of them can be interpreted differently. For example, the Bible does not say that the head of gold was the Babylonian empire, and there's no reason to think that it is.

Anything can be made to sound like a prophecy, if it is interpreted by someone who wants to see a prophecy. Even some of these interpretations are wrong - Egypt has ruled over another country since the caliphate, as it conquered Sudan in the 1800s.

17. freelancer903

freelancer903 New Member

Hmmm... I feel repremanded already, or is this a general announcement? So you're saying we can't state our opinions if there's a chance they may differ from someone else's?

And didn't you just dismiss my beliefs here? Please remove my membership if I am the only one on your site who won't be able to express my opinions. You have the authority to do that. Is your site intolerant of those who believe the Bible? If so, that's fine - we're getting used to that.

Am I automatically a zealous intolerant in your eyes, just because I may be a Christian? Did I write something intolerant? Honestly? Was I disrespectful of anyone here?

18. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Cool your jets there, son. Your post...well, my opinion on your post (as a practicing Christian, may I add) is irrelevant. However, what I think Cogito was saying was a warning to those who would try to debate you on your beliefs.

As WF is a writing forum and not a place to vigorously debate the vagaries of religion and/or spirituality, it is my sincere belief that Cogito is in the right here and was in fact trying to protect you from anyone who may "flame" you for your opinions.

Your defensive posture here is unwarranted. Just relax, no one is impugning your religious convictions here.

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My warning was aimed partly at you, freelancer, and partly at those who might fell compelled to rise up and defend their own beliefs.

This site demands respect for other members. Among other things, that requires that everyone tread lightly in matters of religion and politics. We encourage discussion, but not debate.

You're new, and may be more accustomed to "free for all" sites at which anything goes, and the thickest skin and loudest voice prevails.

I vigorously defend your right to your beliefs. But I also vigorously defend everyone else's right to have contrary beliefs.

20. freelancer903

freelancer903 New Member

Oh, I see. I humbly stand corrected because you're right - I do see now that my defensive posture was unwarranted from that perspective. I guess I wrongly took his comment as a direct response to mine. Thank you for clarifying.

No, please be assured I'm not interested in debating anyone, vigorously or otherwise.

Thanks Dad! :eek:))

21. Joel

Joel New Member

I liked that your post count was 2,012 when I read this ;)

22. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Yes, I see it too. Marina, you are the final proof. It is happening. It IS happening.:eek:

23. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

There end of the world seems to come every decade or so, and we're all still around = my proof.

People just love to think that their time spent on earth holds some sort of significance, which is why everyone knows about this Mayan prophesy but little else about the culture at all. Without that kind of strange hope, what else have they?

The Mayan calendar was the original prediction for this catastrophe, and while the Mayans are remembered for getting a lot of things right, they also got a lot of things wrong, too. And you have to keep in mind how they did their research.

All the other support for this Doomsday are just flimsy connections from people who have a bit too much time on their hands, or conspiracy theorists.

And as for what the Mayans got right? Most of this is still lost in mainstream academia. I took an Ancient Mexico course three years ago, and the brand-new textbook still said that no one knew what happened to the Mayas when that is in fact incorrect. Everyone loves a mystery! :eek: We're prohibited from providing Web sites here, but I promise with a few stratigically placed words into Google, it's not hard to figure out.

World's not gonna end. Regardless, I've already planned to have a party on that New Year's eve. I'm going out in style. ;)

PS: ...Besides, the My Life Is Average forum is not by any means a reliable Web site. :rolleyes:

24. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I dont buy into any of it, but I wont lie, a favorite thing for me is to kick back and watch an "end 'o' the world" show on the History channel.
    I look at predictions this way, someone could find a book I've written, that of which was just a fictional story i got way to imaginative on, and a hundred years from now, read it, and think I was some great profit. They could skew my words to fit things that have happened. And really, it's all gibberish.
    I believe the human race is always looking for the end. Bad crap happens, and whats easier to live with? Thinking your God(s) is/are coming soon to save you, or to deal with the fact that "that's life" and crap goes wrong and people suffer. My favorites are all the scientific scenarios, I buy into those more. (The milky way diagram with the you are here cracked me up!) We can't live the way we do and expect to go on forever. I think we're going to just destroy ourselves in the long run, it's not going to take divine intervention or a galaxy shift or a black hole or a hand of god. Just us over using and over consuming and destroying our life source.

25. Gallowglass

I love this 'no-one knows what happened to the Mayans' thing. There's still ten million of them with their own language and culture.

It actually reminds me of a time when a tourist walked into a pub up here, asked what happened to the Gaels, and when he realised that no-one else spoke English (besides me, but I kept quiet), he tried speaking Welsh or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.