1. Raven

Raven Banned

Teenage binge drinking toll

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Mar 28, 2008.

Teenagers are drinking 44 bottles of wine or 177 pints of beer a year each, a new study into under-age alcohol intake and violence shows.

The figures relate to 15- to 16-year-olds in the North West of England and stem from a study of 9,833 such youngsters.

The report, produced by the Centre for Public Health at Liverpool John Moores University, Trading Standards North West and the Home Office, showed of 190,000 15- to 16-year-olds 57,000 binge-drink by taking five or more drinks in one session.

Also, as many as 40% of teenagers in poor areas binge drink; just under half of those surveyed drank at least once a week, with 40% of girls and 42% of boys later involved in violence.

Poor children were 45% more likely to be violent after drinking than children in affluent areas, the report said.

Professor Mark Bellis, co-author of the report and director of the Centre for Public Health, said: "These figures highlight the sheer quantity of alcohol being consumed by under-age drinkers across the North West.

"Sadly, there is still practically no information publicly available on what is a safe amount of alcohol for children to consume or on how parents can best moderate their children's drinking.

"All too often such bingeing and violence not only damages children's lives but also results in whole communities feeling threatened by gangs of drunk teenagers."

The findings are published just weeks after three teenagers were jailed for the murder of father-of-three Garry Newlove, 47, in Warrington.

On Thursday, Brendan Harris, 15, was convicted of murdering Goth Sophie Lancaster in Lancashire after drinking two litres of cider, a bottle of Stella Artois and peach schnapps.

2. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Exactly why I despise alcohol. It isn't fun now, is it?

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

See thing is that we each have our own opinion on the matter. Once every blue moon I will have enough drinks where i will get drunk. But, I don't have my children around me when I do and I only drink because I enjoy the flavour of certain drinks. I do not drink to get drunk. It is like drinking a glass of your favourite juice, you drink it because you are thirsty and enjoy the flavour. Thatis how it is with alcohol for me.

But binge drinking and excessive drinking is getting beyond a joke these days. I used to live next to a party house and would have to pick up stray bodies from my yard and get them a drink of water to rehydrate them while I helped them ring their parents, or hold their hair while they vomitted.

Alcohol is another abused substance, much like drugs are. Ok in small doses, but overly abused all the time.