1. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Anyone know any good high adventure stories?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gammer, Jan 13, 2011.

I've hit snag in my current reading. I've been trying to find some good high adventure novels, like Robert Louis Stevenson works (pirates, exploration, coming of age stories of young boys, etc....) but haven't had any luck. Can anyone recommend me some good works? I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If you don't mind Fantasy, The Red Wolf Conspiracy, by Robert Redick meets your requirements.

3. art

art Contributor Contributor

I would suggest John Buchan. Rollicking good fun. The 39 Steps or the Greenmantle. Unputdownable.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

There are fantastic anthologies of stories for boys. Tom Brown's Schooldays is good.

I know they are kids books but Tales of Otori by Lian Hearne and recommend the Hardy Boys Casefiles and Undercover series :)

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

If you like High Fantasy you might enjoy the Legend of Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore. Has plenty of adventure, some romance, a dragon or two, more adventure, and the characters can be alot of fun. I have enjoyed most of them. The chronoligical order starts with The Dark Elf Trilogy.

6. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

Thanks guys, I found all these books at my library. Appreciate the help.

7. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

The Lies of Locke Lamora has coming-of-age and general adventure; the sequel, Red Seas Under Red Skies, has pirates. Both were wrtten by Scott Lynch.

The Last Stormlord has coming-of-age, a certain amount of exploration, and raiders (not pirates, as the raiders are desert-dwellers, as are most of the characters).

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

"Bloody Jack" is about a 12-year-old girl who pretends to be a boy so she can be a hand on a ship; deals with pirates and coming of age issues.

9. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Bloody Jack was really good.

If anyone's looking for a similar type of story but with a female protagonist instead, I highly recommend the book Pirates! by Celia Rees.

10. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Yep, I unleashed my inner nerd with most of the Drizzt series. I think I read like 9 of them.